Bushfire at Carbrook - 5.40am update
Published: 18 February 2016
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) advises that as at 5.40am on Thursday 18 February, a large grass fire continues to burn near Beenleigh-Redland Bay Rd and west of Teviot Rd, at Carbrook.
Currently, multiple crews are on scene at the blaze, which broke out on Sunday.
Firefighters completed backburning operations overnight.
There is no threat to homes at this time however there is a large smoke haze affecting the area and surrounds.
Motorists, especially along Beenleigh-Redland Bay Rd, are advised to drive with caution and to conditions and avoid the area if possible due to limited visibility.
Carbrook State School is still open for students today, however the school is encouraging parents to keep their children at home if they suffer from respiratory problems.
Residents are asked to close windows and doors and to keep medications close by if they have a respiratory condition.
If residents are concerned their property is under threat they are advised to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Putting on protective clothing
- Drinking lots of water
- Moving car/s to a safe location
- Closing windows and doors and shutting blinds
- Bringing pets inside, restraining them (leash, cage or secure room) and providing water
- Wetting down fine fuels close to buildings
- Removing garden furniture, doormats and other items
- Sealing all gaps under doors and screens
- Filling containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins
- Having ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
- Having a generator or petrol powered pump ready
- Checking and patrolling outside for embers, extinguishing any spot fires and seeking shelter as the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the Rural Fire Service Queensland (RFSQ) website at or listen to local radio.
For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html