Weather warning for Logan
Published: 30 March 2017
The City of Logan is experiencing severe rainfall and damaging wind gusts are expected, beginning Thursday and forecast to continue into early Friday morning, in line with the Bureau of Meteorology's severe weather warning.
The Logan Local Disaster Management Group as well as Logan City Council branches and supporting organisations are ready for this weather event. Officers are on standby.
We ask that our community makes sure their own properties are secure using these tips on how to best prepare for an emergency.
And always remember, if it's flooded, forget it.
For current weather information, including warnings, forecasts and river conditions, visit the Bureau of Meteorology.
The SES depots at:
- Daisy Hill (26-36 Winnetts Rd, Daisy Hill)
- Logan Village (1464 Waterford-Tamborine Rd, Logan Village)
SES depots will be open Thursday 30 March from 8am to 6pm for sandbag distribution.
Other location for sandbags include:
- Logan City Council's Marsden Depot (181 Chambers Flat Rd, Marsden)
- Eagleby Community Centre (8 - 16 Cowper Avenue, Eagleby)
We will keep an eye on the weather and may extend these hours if required.
Sandbags can also be purchased at major hardware chains.
Now is a good time to check the contents of your emergency kit:
- Are your torch and radio batteries still good?
- Are consumables (e.g. water and tinned food, enough for three days) still within their use-by date?
- Do you have current copies of important papers such as insurance policies, wills, photos, birth certificates etc?
- Are your emergency contact list details still current?
Prepare your home
Here are some simple tips for making sure your home is ready for heavy rain and/or damaging winds:
- Trim trees and branches well clear of your home
- Check/secure roofing
- Clean gutters and downpipes
- Clear yard of loose materials that may become wind-blown hazards