Logan City Council encourages you to get involved in Neighbour Day, Australia’s annual celebration of community held on Sunday 26 March 2017. It is the perfect opportunity to invite your neighbours over for chat, organise a BBQ in the street or game of soccer in a nearby park.
Connecting with the people who live around us helps to create a strong, safe community where we look out for each other.
There are many benefits to organising and participating in Neighbour Day activities, including:
- Meeting like-minded people
- Developing new friendships
- Learning more about our diverse community
- Creating a sense of security for elderly and vulnerable people who may be feeling lonely or socially isolated
- Building a supportive community where you feel comfortable asking someone to keep an eye on your home, collect your mail, take your bins in or even feed your pets if you are away.
Together we can create a community that is welcoming, kind and supportive.
You can make your Neighbour Day as big or as small as you'd like. Have a chat with the people who live next door, invite your neighbours to share a cup of tea or get together for a BBQ in your street. It is the perfect opportunity to knock on the door of your elderly neighbour and offer to mow their lawn or simply let them know you are there if they need support.
Interested in organising a larger community gathering in your neighbourhood?
Register your event on the Neighbour Day website to receive a free Neighbour Day e-kit including posters, invitations, calling cards, name tags and more.
For events in Logan we have created some tailored promotional materials for you.
- Postcards ('connection cards') - write your own friendly neighbourhood message and drop it in a neighbour's letterbox
- Posters - advertise your Neighbour Day event happening in Logan using one of our many posters!
- Letterbox (PDF 534 KB) - make your own Neighbour Day letterbox to put in your community space
- Social media sign (PDF 21 KB) - enjoy some photo fun with your neighbours holding our #neighboursoflogan sign and share on Facebook
Activities in your neighbourhood
There are many neighbourhood activities scheduled across Logan on the weekend of 24, 25 and 26 March 2017 - in community centres, libraries, parks, schools and possibly in your own street.
Council is supporting Neighbour Day celebrations in our local neighbourhood community centres. Call or visit your local centre to see what they have planned for the day.
Find your nearest community centre here.
Search Council's What's On calendar to find neighbourhood events near you.
Win a Neighbour Day prize pack
To thank you for participating in Neighbour Day 2017 we will be giving out Neighbour Day prize packs.
Share photos and stories of your neighbourhood events or connections made with your neighbours for your chance to win. Competition prize packs may include tea and picnic sets, BBQ hampers, inflatable pool party toys, sports equipment and more. Competition winners will be drawn in early April 2017. Use your prize winnings to arrange neighbourhood activities all year round.
For your chance to enter, complete one of the following:
- Share a photo of your neighbourhood event or take a 'selfie' placing a neighbour postcard ('connection card') (PDF 594 KB) in the letterbox next door, across the street or on the next farm. Post your photo with the tag #neighboursoflogan.
- Share your story or write a note of gratitude using the tag #neighboursoflogan. Whether it is meeting a new neighbour, discovering an inspiring story about your neighbour, giving thanks for support offered by a kind neighbour or simply sharing what you love about your neighbourhood, we invite you to tell us your story.
- Complete a friendly neighbour 'connection card' (PDF 537 KB) and place it into one of Council's 'purpose built' Neighbour Day letterboxes located at your local community centres and public libraries across Logan.
Terms and conditions (PDF 378 KB) for the competition can be found here.
It's time to get talking... how well do you know your neighbour?
March 21 is Australia's Harmony Day, celebrating our country's cultural diversity. Harmony Day coincides with the United Nations' International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
Logan is proud of its cultural diversity and you can share in that pride by participating in Harmony Day events and activities across the City. Search Council's What's On calendar to find neighbourhood events near you.
Help spread Council's welcome message by displaying our artwork featuring the word 'welcome' in English and more than 40 other languages spoken in our community, found here.