Given Logan's leafy areas and large areas of natural bushland, bushfire is a potential threat, particularly in dry years.
- Prepare an emergency kit
- If possible, make a firebreak around your home (use mower, rake, spade), and trim branches well clear of the house
- Clear roof and gutters of leaves, twigs, etc.
- Remove all rubbish, leaf litter and native shrubs growing too close to the house
- Keep grass short and green
- Fit wire screens to doors, windows, and vents, and enclose all gaps, roof eaves and the area under your house
- Fit hoses to reach all parts of the house and garden.
Unless you have decided to leave early, or are ordered by Police or Fire Service to do so, stay in the house after taking the following precautions:
- Phone the Fire Service - don't assume they know there is a fire
- Turn off gas and power
- Close all external windows and doors and block gaps from inside with wet towels
- Fill baths, sinks and buckets with reserve water
- Plug downpipes with rags and fill gutters with water.
- Quickly extinguish any fires that may have started in, near, or under the house or roof, and check inside the roof too
- If the house is alight and can't be extinguished, move away onto burnt ground
- Don't leave - wait for help
- Listen to your local radio/TV station for official information, as well as advice on damage and service disruptions
This list is not complete. For further information refer to Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.