Looking After Pets
The following advice will help you to look after your pet during an emergency.
- Bring pets inside early, as they have instincts about dangerous situations and may run away.
- Keep them indoors and separated in a quiet room with small or preferably no windows.
- Provide food and water but do not try to comfort them as you may transfer your anxiety.
- Make sure they are properly identified (e.g. tag, name tag, microchip or brand/tattoo).
- In the event of an evacuation, check with pets are allowed at evacuation centres.
- Do not leave pets in vehicles.
If you lose your pet during an emergency, contact Council's Animal Management Centre.