World Environment Day
World Environment Day is an international celebration commemorated every year on 5 June to recognise the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment at Stockholm in 1972.
The purpose of this conference was to formulate 'A Global Agenda for Change'. It envisioned and promoted the notion of Sustainable Development - to ensure that development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
For further information about International theme, please see the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) website.
Primary School Poster Competition
Between February and June every year Logan City Council hosts a primary school poster competition in celebration of World Environment Day (which is held on 5 June every year). Primary Schools were encouraged to participate in the competition and have students create a landscape, A4 or A3 size poster relating to Logan's World Environment Day's theme, 'Local Action, Global Impact'.
Logan City Council's 2016 World Environment Day Competition closed on 15th April 2016. Winners are listed below and were presented with their certificates and prizes at their respective schools.
- Ruby - Grade 1, Beenleigh Special School;
- Samara - Grade 5, Browns Plains State School;
- Ram - Grade 1, Groves Christian College;
- Jay - Grade 3, Harris Fields State School;
- Mia - Grade 4, Harris Fields State School;
- Tiberio - Grade 3, John Paul College;
- Liam - Grade 3, St Bernadines Primary School; and
- George - Grade 5, St Paul's Woodridge.
Each of the highly commended winners recieved a certificate, ribbon, eco prize pack and their posters will appear on the inside front cover of Council's 2017 World Environment Day Calendar.
- Mayor's Choice winner - Alex - Grade 1, Beenleigh Special School;
- Mayor's Choice runner up - Dustin - Grade 2, Slacks Creek State School;
- Seth - Grade 3, Beenleigh Special School;
- Jayden - Grade 4, Beenleigh Special School;
- Isabella - Grade 1, Groves Christian College;
- Kerubin - Grade 3, Harris Fields State School;
- Jack - Grade 3, Harris Fields State School;
- Aurelia - Grade 5, John Paul College;
- Mia - Prep, Slacks Creek State School;
- Paige - Grade 1, Springwood Central State School;
- Claire - Grade 4, Springwood Central State School;
- Brooke - Grade 4, St Bernadines Primary School; and
- Brooke - Grade 6, St Paul's Woodridge.
Each of the Overall winners recieved a certificate, ribbon, eco prize pack, monetary prize and their posters will feature in Council's 2017 World Environment Day calendar.
Along with the above winning categories, the following prizes were also awarded:
- All registered student participants recieved a prize;
- All registered participating schools recieved a prize; and
- All registered participating schools went into the draw to win 2 iPads, which were awarded to Waterford State School.
For further information about the poster competition please see the Fact Sheet and Terms and Conditions documents below or contact Council's Customer Service Unit on 07 3412 3412 or email email@example.com.
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Fact Sheet (PDF 820 KB)
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Terms and Conditions (PDF 526 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links (PDF 99 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links Reference Table (PDF 182 KB)
Details regarding the 2017 World Environment Day Poster Competition will be available here from January 2017.
Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF)
Council also celebrates World Environment Day by holding the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) every year. See Logan Eco Action Festival for further details.