World Environment Day
World Environment Day is an international celebration commemorated every year on 5 June to recognise the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment at Stockholm in 1972.
The purpose of this conference was to formulate 'A Global Agenda for Change'. It envisioned and promoted the notion of Sustainable Development - to ensure that development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
For further information about International theme, please see the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) website.
Primary School Poster Competition
Between February and June every year Logan City Council hosts a primary school poster competition in celebration of World Environment Day (which is held on 5 June every year).
Logan City Council's 2016 World Environment Day Competition opens on 8th February 2016 and closes on 15th April 2016.
Primary Schools are encouraged to participate in the competition and have students create a landscape, A4 or A3 size poster relating to Logan's World Environment Day's theme, 'Local Action, Global Impact' which aligns with the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) theme for 2016. Primary Schools are responsible for posting or delivering their 5 best entries from each grade level to Council.
All received entries are judged by Council and the following winning categories and prizes will be awarded:
- 13 Overall winners will receive a prize and certificate and their poster will feature in the 2017 World Environment Day calendar;
- 6 Highly Commended winners will each receive a certificate and prize;
- All registered student participants will receive a prize;
- All registered participating schools will receive a prize; and
- All registered participating schools will go into the draw to win a major prize.
Overall winners and Highly Commended winners will be presented with their prizes at an award presentation ceremony to be held at Logan City Council's annual environmental event, LEAF (Logan Eco Action Festival) on Sunday 5th June 2016. All winning posters will be displayed at LEAF and the Logan Art Gallery.
For further information about the poster competition please see the Fact Sheet and Terms and Conditions documents below or contact Council's Customer Service Unit on 07 3412 3412 or email email@example.com.
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Fact Sheet (PDF 820 KB)
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Terms and Conditions (PDF 526 KB)
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Student Entry Forms (PDF 751 KB)
- 2016 World Environment Day Poster Competition - Teacher Entry Forms (PDF 513 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links (PDF 99 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links Reference Table (PDF 182 KB)
The 2017 World Environment Day Calendars will be available for free from any Council library or customer service centre in November 2016. Copies of the 2016 World Environment Day Calendar may still be available for free at libraries and customer service centres. Alternatively you can download a copy here (PDF 8931 KB).
Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF)
Council also celebrates World Environment Day by holding the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) every year. LEAF will be held on the 5th June 2016 at Griffith University (Logan Campus) from 10am - 3pm.
See Logan Eco Action Festival for further details.