Much like the rest of South East Queensland, solar PV has proven incredibly popular in Logan. There are now around 34,000 systems operational representing 124 megawatts of installed solar PV capacity (based on inverter size) across the city.
Households and businesses who install a solar PV system are provided with several benefits including:
- Free clean energy
- Reduced power bills. Despite recent reductions in feed-in tariffs they can still have a reasonably short payback period
- Reduced carbon footprint
- They allow the owner to show their neighbours/customers that they are keen to be part of the solution to climate change and are willing to make a significant investment to meet this challenge
Solar PV at Council
Council has installed 17 solar PV systems on various Council owned buildings, resulting in a total installed solar capacity of about 230 kilowatts (kW). While most are around the 5 kW size, four are significantly larger:
- The Tudor Park Community Recreation Centre system is 22 kW
- The Animal Management Centre system is 30 kW
- The Recycling Centre at the SmartTip system is 30 kW
- An off-grid system at Round Mountain Reservoir which is 87 kilowatts
A number of Logan based companies sell and install both solar PV and solar hot water systems. They are available to provide advice and quotes to residents and businesses alike.