Summer Pet Care
Tips for caring for your pet during the warmer months of the year:
- Never leave your pet unattended in direct sunlight or in a closed vehicle as heatstroke can occur.
- Always make sure your pet has access to fresh and clean water.
- Make sure your pet's enclosure is escape proof and provides shelter from the weather.
- Try to avoid strenuous exercise with your pet on extremely hot days and refrain from physical activity when the sun's heat is most intense. Early morning or evening walks may be best.
- Pets can get sunburnt, especially short haired pets and pets with pink skin and white hair. Apply creams before going out in the sun.
- If your pet is carrying a few extra kilos don't encourage them to run in soft soil or sand as this is strenuous exercise.
Summer in QLD means storms. Many dogs are sensitive to thunder and lightening. New Years Eve and other celebrations are also coming up.
If you know that there are storms approaching or an event is having fireworks, it is always a good idea to ensure that your pets are somewhere safe. Try putting them in a closed room, such as the laundry, a spare room or a dog crate. Anywhere that keeps them safely contained is great. If your pet does escape during a storm or fireworks, the best place to look for it afterwards is the Animal Management Centre at 213 Queens Road Kingston.