Sale Terms & Fees
Cats and dogs that have been surrendered or impounded and are not reclaimed by their owners are considered for the sale program. Once an animal is selected it remains in the Cat and Dog Sale Program until sold. Abandoned animals are given a second chance at life in a loving home.
All cats and dogs that qualify for sale have been:
- Temperament tested
- Health checked (by Council Veterinarian)
- Vaccinated (first needle)
- Heartworm tested (dogs only)
- Hydrobathed (dogs only) and
- Have free registration until 30 June (cats and dogs)
Our rehoming process helps match the right pet to the right home
You will be required to participate in a pre-sale interview that will cover a series of questions about your lifestyle and home situation, and discuss how much time will be needed to keep your new pet happy.
The following is important to bring along with you when you wish to purchase an animal:
- If you rent we will need to see an agreement with your landlord/real estate agent which states you are allowed to have a pet
- Photographic ID/Licence/18+ Card
- If you already have a dog, you will need to bring him/her to the Animal Management Centre to meet the potential new dog to ensure they get along. This is not necessary if adopting a cat
- Everyone that will be living with the new pet, including all children to ensure suitability
An inspection of your property may be required to ensure that the animal's enclosure is adequate and compliant. It is also a good idea to research the breed of the animal you are looking to re-home, to really be certain it will suit your lifestyle. You will find valuable information on our pet ownership page to prepare you for your new responsibility.
Please note: Council has the right to decline a person's application for purchase if it is deemed unsuitable.
Costs of cats and dogs for sale
|Male or female dog||$299.00|
|Male or female kitten (<1 year)||$150.00|
|Male or female cat (1-5 years)||$105.00|
|Male or female cat (Senior 5 years +)||$60.00|
To register your interest in a particular breed of cat or dog complete the Expression of Interest - Dog and Cat Rehoming Program (PDF 452 KB) form and return it to the Animal Management Centre.