Dividing Fences

The Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 provides the laws in relation to dividing fences.  This law is not administered by Logan City Council.

Links from this page will redirect you to the State government website.

Avoiding disputes about dividing fences  

It is always best to resolve any problems over fences directly with your neighbour. This will be quicker, cheaper and less stressful than taking legal action.

For more information go to avoiding disputes about fences.   https://www.qld.gov.au/law/housing-and-neighbours/disputes-about-fences-trees-and-buildings/avoiding-fence-tree-and-building-disputes/avoiding-disputes-about-fences/


Another way to settle disputes between neighbours without having to go to court is through mediation. Mediation through the Dispute Resolution Centre is cheaper, easier and quicker than taking legal action and, in many cases, the process is free.  Telephone the Dispute Resolution Centre on 3239 6007 to see how they can help. 

For more information go to step by step guide for resolving fence disputes.   https://www.qld.gov.au/law/housing-and-neighbours/disputes-about-fences-trees-and-buildings/resolving-tree-and-fence-disputes/step-by-step-guide-to-resolving-tree-and-fence-disputes/

State laws

If you cannot resolve your concerns with your neighbour, the Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 provides processes to help neighbours avoid disputes about fenceshttps://www.qld.gov.au/law/housing-and-neighbours/disputes-about-fences-trees-and-buildings/avoiding-fence-tree-and-building-disputes/avoiding-disputes-about-fences/

For more information about fence owners responsibilities go to your responsibilities as a fence ownerhttps://www.qld.gov.au/law/housing-and-neighbours/disputes-about-fences-trees-and-buildings/avoiding-fence-tree-and-building-disputes/your-responsibility-as-a-fence-owner/

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) are given power to deal with these matters if they cannot be resolved between neighbours.  Where a matter cannot be resolved between neighbours, the neighbour may make application to QCAT and seek an order, for example - for contributing towards the cost of a fence.


Queensland Government - Fence enquiries
Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Dispute Resolution Centre – Mediation

Phone: (07) 3239 6007

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal - applications for orders
Phone:  13 QGOV (13 74 68)