Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) reinforces merit-based selection in that it requires applicants to be selected, promoted and treated on the basis of their ability to do the job.
Merit based selection is an assessment of an applicant's abilities, skills, experience, qualifications and potential relative to those of other applicants against selection criteria set down in the position description. A merit based and equitable recruitment and selection process involves a range of activities designed to ensure:
- fair and open competition
- a systematic and consistent process
- selection criteria that reflect the actual and realistic requirements of the position
- processes that do not unfairly discriminate at any stage
- members of the selection panels are skilled and impartial.