Council calls for fair share for Logan
Published: 3 November 2017
It's time for Logan to receive its fair share. That's the message from City of Logan Mayor Luke Smith and Logan City Council ahead of the pending Queensland Election.
Council is mobilising the community to help ensure the City of Logan receives its fair share of Queensland Government funding for major roads and public transport, and timely services for emerging communities.
The #FairShare4Logan campaign enables locals to have their say and reinforces the need for critical Queensland Government investment in Logan.
The campaign is based around five key priorities:
- Mount Lindesay Hwy
- M1 Motorway and extension of South East Busway
- Waterford Tamborine Rd
- Salisbury to Beaudesert Passenger Rail
- Infrastructure for growing communities.
"The City of Logan is ready and willing to embrace its potential as an innovative, dynamic city of the future, but for too long, we haven't received our fair share of funding," Mayor Smith said.
"We need urgent investment in key major roads and public transport, and timely delivery of health, education and wellbeing services in our growing communities.
"Following the success of our Federal Government advocacy campaign last year - which helped secure funding for the first part of a fix for the M1 at Eight Mile Plains - we're moving our focus to the State Government. We want political party leaders and candidates in Logan to know what's important for our community."
Council today launched www.FairShare4Logan.com.au, a website where locals can vote on the infrastructure and priorities most important to them via an online poll. The campaign will also include extensive social media activity, as well as highly visual messaging across the City of Logan.
Each week during the election campaign, Council will provide updates to all candidates contesting seats covering all or parts of the City of Logan.
"We need all parties and local candidates to know that our community is tired of missing out on funding," Mayor Smith said.
"The City of Logan is the seventh largest city in Australia and a growing economy, and we're being held back by the shortcomings of our major roads and public transport, and the lack of services and facilities in our fast-growing south-west corridor.
"Enough is enough. It’s time for Logan's fair share."
What are we asking candidates to commit to?
Mt Lindesay Hwy:
- Invest $10m for a business case that will deliver a comprehensive plan for upgrades
- Priority funding for construction of an end-to-end solution.
M1 Motorway and extension of South East Busway
- Invest $16m for a business case to deliver a comprehensive solution for the M1, including:
- upgrading the northbound lanes between Eight Mile Plains and Rochedale
- upgrading the remaining section from Rochedale to the Logan Motorway
- extending the South East Busway to Loganholme
- Invest $7m-$10m for detailed design and project funding to upgrade the road between Anzac Ave and North St (Logan Village)
- Invest $10m for a business case to upgrade the remaining length of the road from North St (Logan Village) to Kingston Rd/Albert St (Waterford)
Salisbury to Beaudesert Passenger Rail
- $5 million to bring forward a business case to provide a passenger rail service
Infrastructure for growing communities (including Priority Development Areas of Yarrabilba and Greater Flagstone)
- Commitment to:
- health services and facilities to meet community demand
- support high quality education facilities from early years thorugh to high school
- support development of a community hub in the south-west
- the right level of police services in the south-west
- places to gather and hold events in our community.
Act now: www.FairShare4Logan.com.au