Inside Page Baner

Cedar Grove

Cedar Grove and Cedar Vale are in the same region to the south of Jimboomba. When the Beaudesert Railway was built in 1888, the station here was known as Cedar Pocket. Much of the land to the west of Cedar Pocket was originally selected by the Markwell family, some of which was later purchased by William Geddes. During the 1887 flood Mr Geddes lost 20 brood mares with foals, as well as one house with fencing. His daughter Susanna had married William Henry Couldrey in 1872. Couldrey purchased the Ageston sugar plantation on the Logan River in 1868. He was already the owner of the Phoenix and Smithfield mines in Gympie and an active member of the Gympie Community. He employed a manager at Ageston and continued his interests in Gympie and was the first Chairman of the Gympie Divisional Board. In mid 1891 he moved to the Geddes property at Cedar Pocket. He immediately began erecting a cheese factory. By December 1892 the factory was in full swing with 20 farmers supplying it with milk. This was located at the intersection of Couldrey Court and Cedar Grove Road. In later years it was operated by Reg Couldrey, son of William and Susanna Geddes. In 1915 the land was cut into 30 blocks and auctioned.

In 1979 the Big Country estate to the west of the old Cedar Pocket station was subdivided into 4-5 hectare rural residential lots. Prices ranged from $9,900 to $15,690.