We can arrange to remove deceased animals from public places and private property.
You can also take deceased animals to the Browns Plains Waste and Recycling Facility for disposal.
For sick or injured wildlife, see Sick or injured wildlife.
Deceased animals in public areas
Our waste contractor removes deceased animals from parks, roads and footpaths. To arrange for removal of a deceased animal, please call us on 07 3412 3412.
The waste contractor will scan deceased dogs and cats for a microchip and contact their owners if details can be found. We are not able to return deceased pets to their owners.
For deceased animals on a major road (e.g. motorways or highways), please call the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.
If you see a deceased animal in powerlines, please call Energex on 13 12 53. Energex will remove the animal from the lines, then put it in a bag and leave it for us to collect.
Deceased animals on private property
Our waste contractor can remove deceased animals from your property.
To have an animal removed, please call us on 07 3412 3412.
The following fees may apply for removing deceased animals:
- wildlife – removed free
- small animals (e.g. dogs, cats) – $68.10
- medium animals (e.g. sheep, pigs, goats) – $294.80
- large animal (e.g. horses, cattle) – $ 720.50.
You can bury deceased pets in your yard. Please make sure:
- the hole is at least 1m deep
- you compact the soil so that other animals can't dig it up.
If you require collection or disposal of a horse or donkey, you must provide a certificate from a vet clearing it of Hendra virus. We can't accept horses or donkeys without a certificate.
If you know of any animal that has Hendra virus, please call Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 for advice.
For safety reasons, our contractor is not allowed to go in to roof spaces to remove deceased animals.
Browns Plains Waste and Recycling Facility
You can take deceased animals to the Browns Plains Waste and Recycling Facility for disposal between 8:00am and 3:30pm every day.
The fees to dispose of deceased animals are:
- small animals (e.g. dogs, cats) – $28
- medium animals (e.g. sheep, pigs, goats) – $58
- large animals (e.g. horses, cattle) – $166
- small animals from commercial premises - $30
- medium animals from commercial premises - $65
- large animals from commercial premises - $232
If you bring in a deceased horse or donkey, you must provide a certificate from a vet clearing it of Hendra virus.