You can access our My Property tool to find local schools, closest public transport options and more.
The suburb of Edens Landing was developed by Leighton Holdings in 1984–85. It was originally called Holmview Heights. Edens Landing is named after an early Waterford resident, Henry Eden, and was gazetted by the Place Names Board in November 1985.
Henry Eden was involved in the timber industry on the Logan River in the 1860s. In 1865, he wrote to the government to ask for permission to establish a punt and ferry boat. The ferry reserve was proclaimed on 23 November 1865 near the site of the current bridge. Eden had purchased four acres from Patrick Leo earlier that month, on the Beenleigh Road between Loganlea Road and the river. Eden successfully obtained the lease on the ferry on 24 November. In 1866 he also ran another ferry at Loganholme, further downstream from the current bridges, on the property of Mr Buchbach. It was known as the Lower Logan Ferry or Holmes Ferry.
By January 1869, Eden was pursuing timber interests in the Tweed River region. Mr Grimley had taken over the Upper Logan Ferry (Waterford), in partnership with Mr Cox. They also established a cotton gin, maize mill and a small cordage works nearby. By the end of 1869, Grimley was facing financial difficulties and Eden resumed responsibility for the ferry.
Eden moved to the Tweed River in the early 1870s. He selected land on the north bank of the river and built a small cedar house he named Ostia. He operated a shipping service which transported cedar from the Northern Rivers district to the Beenleigh timber mills. Land in the Currumbin Valley was named the Garden of Eden, which was located on the border crossing above Murwillumbah. Eden later returned to England to take up his inherited title of Viscount Eden.
Other significant early settlers in Edens Landing included Wilson Holliday and his family. They were involved in dairying and cultivation on their property Sherwood. Holliday became the clerk for both the Waterford and Beenleigh Councils. During the 1880s and early 1890s, the two councils shared an office in Beenleigh. In 1869, a small Wesleyan Church was built on Holliday’s property. It was opened on 22 March by Reverend Isaac Harding, and was later moved into Beenleigh. Reverend Harding was relocated to Pimpama, where another church was built on land donated by Henry Jordan's family.
A map accompanying the request for the Waterford school indicated that there were five other settlers in the Edens Landing area in 1870, in addition to the Hollidays and the Berndts (who lived on the western edge of Bethania). The area was well settled as early as the mid-1860s. The area had German and English farmers who grew maize and potatoes, and experimented with tobacco. In 1865, property owner Alexander Beaton noted a landing place for boats in this vicinity, where the water was deep. A correspondent to The Queenslander in 1866 noted that Eden also ran a ferry in this vicinity.
Edens Landing remained a farming area until the late-20thcentury. The upgrade of the train services in the 1980s led Leighton Developers to pay for a station at Edens Landing, which opened in January 1986. The Edens Landing State School opened in 1997.