World Environment Day
World Environment Day is an international celebration commemorated every year on 5 June to recognise the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment at Stockholm in 1972.
The purpose of this conference was to formulate 'A Global Agenda for Change'. It envisioned and promoted the notion of Sustainable Development - to ensure that development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
For further information about International theme, please see the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) website.
Logan City Council World Environment Day Poster Competition
**The 2019 Poster Competition will open on Tuesday, 29 January 2019. For futher information and materials will be available on this page during November, 2018.**
Between January and April each year, Logan City Council hosts a primary school poster competition in celebration of World Environment Day.
Primary Schools in Logan are encouraged to participate in the competition and have students create a landscape, A4 or A3 size poster relating to Logan's World Environment Day's theme (the 2018 theme was 'Rethink the Future'), which aligns with the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) theme. Primary Schools are responsible for posting or delivering their 5 best entries from each grade level to Council.
All received entries are judged by Council and the following winning categories and prizes awarded:
- 13 Overall winners to receive a prize and certificate and their poster will feature in the following year's World Environment Day calendar;
- 6-8 Highly Commended winners to each receive a certificate and prize;
- All registered student participants will receive a prize;
- All registered participating schools will receive a prize; and
- All registered participating schools went into the draw to win a major prize of two iPad's.
Overall winners and Highly Commended winners will be presented with their prizes at an award presentation ceremony to be held at Logan City Council's annual environmental event, LEAF (Logan Eco Action Festival). All winning posters will be displayed on the day at LEAF and the Logan Art Gallery for a period.
For further information about the poster competition contact Council's Customer Service Unit on 07 3412 3412 or email email@example.com. Please note that documentation including a fact sheet, entry forms and terms and conditions will be coming soon!
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Fact Sheet (PDF 1073 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Terms & Conditions (PDF 526 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Teacher Entry Form (PDF 230 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Student Entry Form (PDF 563 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links (PDF 99 KB)
- World Environment Day Poster Competition - Curriculum Links Reference Table (PDF 182 KB)
Primary School Poster Competition - 2018 Winning Entrants
Logan City Council's 2018 World Environment Day Competition closed on 18th April this year. The winners of the 2018 Competition, whose talented artworks will feature in the 2019 World Environment Day Calendar, are:
Sophie, Year 5, Greenbank State School (Mayor's Choice Winner)
Hannah, Year 6, St Bernardine's School (Mayor's Choice Runner Up)
Aleasha, Beenleigh Special School
Bethany, Year 6, Harris Fields State School
Elijah, Year 1, Kimberley Park Sate School
Hudson, Year 1, Edens Landing State School
Jamie, Year 4, St Edward the Confessor School
Sarita, Year 5, Harris Fields State School
Shreya, Year 5 Burrowes State School
Tasfiah, Year 6, Springwood Central State School
Tawana, Year 2, St Bernardine's School
Tiberio, Year 5, John Paul College
Zeinab, Year 3, St Francis College
Chloe, Year 5, Springwood Central State School
Dylan, Year 6, Greenbank State School
Hailee, Year 4, Browns Plains State School
Gabi, Year 5, Greenbank State School
Kingston, Year 1, Springwood Central State School
Te, Year 3, Boronia Heights State School
Copies of the 2019 World Environment Day Calendar will be available for free at libraries and customer service centres from November this year.
Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF)
Council also celebrates World Environment Day by holding the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) every year. See Logan Eco Action Festival for further details.