Inside Page Baner

Private Works - Developer Delivered Live Connections

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding private works - developer delivered live connections.

As a property owner/developer, can I connect to the live water/sewer network?

Yes, private contractors can make connections to Logan City Council's existing reticulation network.

If approval is granted by Council's Water Operations Branch, they will schedule a representative to carry out an audit and construction compliance inspection of your work.

Council recommends you undertake a pre-lodgement assessment of your proposed works. This will inform you of the requirements to meet in order to lodge an application.  A pre-lodgement assessment is indicative only, free of charge and any advice offered by Council is non-binding.

What types of connections are permitted?

Logan City Council can permit a private contractor to carry out the following live connections for water and wastewater:

  • reticulation connections
  • commercial water service(s), including the water meter assembly and any backflow protection equipment
  • fires service(s), including the water meter assembly
  • property connections
  • water service for domestic/residential use, including meter box (excluding the water meter)
  • wastewater property connection(s)
  • alteration to existing reticulation network e.g. water and wastewater mains replacement

Note 'live connection' is not intended to create a new asset. 'Live connection' is when a new asset is physically connected to the existing infrastructure and becomes the property of Logan City Council.

What type of works are not permitted?

  • infrastructure works assessed as high risk including potential environmental impact
  • existing connections which may be classified as sensitive
  • possible locations which include large customer service interruption

How are live connections assessed?

Live connections are assessed by the impact they have to existing customers of Logan City Council. There are two types of 'live connection' classifications, these are:

Simplex Connection - construction technique for these connections do not generally involve a flow interruption. Examples include:

  • live tapping of a suitable water main
  • install a plug in a wastewater stub for future connection
  • wastewater break and bench etc.
  • low risk to infrastructure and customers

Complex Connection - these connections generally involve flow interruptions where planned works will create a service interruption to Council's existing customers or any event which will require a flow interruption or change of normal flow direction or:

  • where the work may pose a risk to the network. e.g. sensitive customers
  • where the work may pose a risk to personnel undertaking the work. e.g. sewer gasses present
  • removal of a section of pipe
  • bypass pumping
  • tankering etc.
  • flow interruption

A flow interruption includes any activity required to control, divert, reduce or adjust the pressure or direction of flow which may impact on Logan City Council customers in any way.

A flow interruption may impact on the timing of the required works to minimise the impact and inconvenience to our customers. This may require the connection to be carried out during 'out of hours' timeframes. An additional fee for works outside normal hours (7am - 4pm Mon - Fri, excluding public holidays) will be advised to the applicant where applicable. Note: network constraints may require works to be carried out after normal working hours.

Due to the nature of the network and the age of the infrastructure, no guarantee is offered by Council that the flow control will provide a 100% isolation of the network. The applicant must ensure adequate controls are available should water and wastewater enter the work site/excavation.

How long is the approval process for connection to Logan City Council's water and wastewater assets?

Assessment for Simplex connections shall be determined within ten (10) business days, or for Complex connections twenty (20) business days from application lodgement and where all relevant documents have been submitted.

A pre-lodgement assessment may be requested prior to submitting your application. Decisions and advice issued during the pre-lodgement assessment are indicative only and based on information received. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation identified during the pre-lodgement assessment is included with the application.

Failure to submit all documentation may result in the application being delayed. Where all the documentation has been submitted but is unsatisfactory, incomplete or insufficient, further information will be requested which will result in a delay in the approval process.

Who is responsible for the work at the site?

The applicant or their representative is responsible to ensure compliance with Work Health and Safety and SEQ Water Supply & Wastewater Design & Construction Code (SEQ WS&S D&C code) at all times.

The applicant may appoint a principle contractor or Project Manager to be responsible for all aspects of the requested works.

Logan City Council representatives are attending in the sole capacity of infrastructure protection and customer service, and are not in control of the site, any works or personnel at any time. Council may halt works should a safety or connection issue be identified.

What information do I need to provide to Logan City Council to start the connection process?

A pre-lodgement assessment may be requested prior to submitting your application. Decisions and advice issued during the pre-lodgement assessment are indicative only, based on information provided.

The 'Application for Private Works' form outlines many of the required documents to start the connection process.

Where can I access the Private Works application forms?

Where do I send the "Application for Private Works' form and corresponding documentation?

  • post to Logan City Council, PO Box 3226, Logan City DC, Qld 4114
  • email to
  • in person at any Customer Service Centre, these are located at 150 Wembley Road, Logan Central; 58-60 Manila Street, Beenleigh or 18-22 Honora Street, Jimboomba

What information is required to be submitted to assess the 'Live Connection'?

  • a council stamped approved engineering plan of proposed works, including a Construction Procedure sequencing, clearly showing the connection in detail. e.g. design detail, longitudinal section for alteration to existing infrastructure etc.
  • quality and safety assurance such as a copy of the contractor's Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) and Risk Assessment for each activity to be carried out
  • proof of Public Liability insurance etc.
  • emergency contact details for applicant and contractor
  • proof of contractors accreditation, credentials and competencies
  • trenching and excavation guidelines

Also required where applicable:

  • traffic control management plan
  • written permission to access private property, public land e.g. parks
  • environmental management plan, including tree preservation
  • removal of spoil and fire ant management
  • asbestos removal licence and training documentation
  • confined space training records, including First Aid training for all staff attending the site

How detailed does my Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) need to be?

Your SWMS should be detailed enough to cover all aspects of how you intend to complete your work in a safe way. (generally a minimum of 10 pages)

How detailed does my Construction Procedure need to be?

Construction Procedure for Connections must include the process that you undertake to carry out the 'Live Connection'.

They should be, as a minimum, cover the construction sequence and methodology in detail, and also include all plant, equipment, materials and fittings that will be used for the completion of the connection.

What additional fees may I be liable for, other than the audit fees?

Additional fees Logan City Council may include are fees for water tankers, sewerage pumping, shutting down and restoring the network, shutdown notifications to customers. A quotation for these costs may be obtained from Council on assessment of your connection requirements. e.g. Complex vs Simplex.

Further costs may apply should the connection not be completed  by the contractor for any reason. In this situation Council will take over the control of the 'Live Connection' work site from the contractor and complete the connection at the applicants cost. No guarantee is offered that the connection will be completed during the reinstatement of the reticulation network. Council will issue a tax invoice based on the actual costs incurred to reinstate the network.

How can I pay?

Fees can be paid:

  • by mail, cheque or money order must be made payable to Logan City Council, post to Logan City Council, PO Box 3226, Logan City DC, Qld 4114
  • in person at any Customer Service Centre, these are located at 150 Wembley Road, Logan Central; 58-60 Manila Street, Beenleigh or 18-22 Honora Street, Jimboomba
  • by phone, payment by credit card may be made over the phone by contacting Council on (07) 3412 3412 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5 pm (except on public holidays). A merchant service fee of 0.5% will be charged on credit card payments.

All fees must be paid prior to scheduling an onsite compliance audit.

At what stage of the construction process can the physical connection to the Logan City Council asset occur?

Generally, the connection(s) cannot happen until:

  • signed acknowledgement notice has been received and,
  • payment has been made and,
  • where applicable, on maintenance approval of the new infrastructure has been obtained by Water Operations and,
  • all relevant test results have been accepted by Council

Can a developer obtain permission to tap a live main for a new property service(s)?

Yes, developers can apply through the Application for Private Works to tap a live main for new property service and the live connection process mentioned herein shall apply, including any applicable fee/s.

Can the Logan City Council representative, while auditing the connection works, remove any approval if they deem there to be significant reason to do so?

Yes. The Council representative has the right to revoke this authority if they believe there is sufficient risk to the infrastructure, safety concerns or customers.

Who is liable for the charges, should there be any property damage during construction?

The applicant is responsible for any damage caused  by the applicant's contractor(s) to the property.

How are works finalised?

As Constructed information in the required format must be submitted within three (3) weeks from the connection occurring and submitted to Council. A completion certificate may be acknowledged onsite by a Council representative if required by the applicant.

Defects Liability Period

The applicant shall be responsible for any defect identified for a nominated period as defined within the Decision Notice and Conditions. Any defect identified by Logan City Council and which is attributed to the live connection shall be rectified by Council. Any costs incurred shall be recovered from the applicant via a tax invoice sundry debtor.