Do you need help with reading or writing? Or know someone who does? Maybe we can help.
Logan City Council Libraries offers help with general literacy including reading, writing and basic numeracy.
Adult literacy sessions are conducted on a one-to-one basis and are available to both native English speakers and individuals from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Our trained volunteer literacy tutors plan and prepare sessions to cater to each individual client’s needs. The sessions may, for example, aim to assist clients to:
- communicate both orally and in writing with greater fluency and accuracy
- develop strategies to improve reading and listening comprehension
- improve numeracy skills for work or everyday life
- learn interview skills and/or skills to retain a job
- read web pages to access work
- read to their children
- gain a driver’s licence
- prepare for the Australian citizenship test
Contact your local library or the Outreach Librarian on 3412 4459 for more information about adult literacy tutoring.
All libraries have a Learning Materials collection which contains material for people who need assistance in learning English or developing literacy or numeracy skills. The collection includes workbooks, graded readers, high interest/low skill material, computer software and audio visual material designed to improve the literacy skills of both English speaking and non-English speaking people.
Browse through some of the learning material resources held in the library.
For more information contact Logan City Council Libraries on (07) 3412 4459 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Issues in English 2 will help adults and those learning English as a second language improve literacy skills. Skills include reading, writing, vocabulary, spelling, dictation, grammar, pronunciation, listening and giving your opinion.
- Mango Languages is an online language-learning system. Languages include English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Brazilian Pirate, Portuguese, German, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Italian, Russian and more.
- Road to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) provides users with 120 hours of intensive work on vocabulary, reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Road to IELTS Academic provides candidates access to four skill areas, where learners can prepare effectively for university entry by developing skills necessary to success an IELTS exam.
- Studiosity provides Lifelong Learning assistance by connecting adults to qualified tutors for personalised assistance with their resume as well as literacy and numeracy skills. Available from Sunday to Friday, 3pm to 10pm.
- Reading Writing Hotline - Has information about literacy classes, finding teachers and other people who can help, and websites and books that can help.
- English Zone - A privately owned personal website that began as a site for students and teachers of English.
- English at the Beach - A site with lots of adult appropriate reading and writing activities.
- Literacy Net - This site contains key information about Australian adult literacy activity and links to a range of additional programs, professional development, resource, and research sites.
- LiteracyCenter.Net - Serves more than a million free literacy lessons a month to children in 141 countries. It provides safe learning activities for parents and teachers to share with young children. All online lessons are free of advertising and free of charge. It has levelled activities for alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, spelling, etc., and you can choose to work in English, Spanish, German, or French.
- Queensland Council for Adult Literacy - An advocacy organisation promoting fair and equal access to resources for adult literacy learners throughout Queensland, as well as providing information for adult literacy teachers and tutors.
- Spelling it Right
- Teaching Treasures