Complaints management

Requesting a service or complaining about an issue

You can contact us if you want to:

  • request a service
  • let us know some work is needed (like maintenance for a park, road or footpath)
  • complain about an issue (like garbage collection, a barking dog or a suspected breach of a local law).

Please call us on 07 3412 3412 or report the issue online

We will investigate your issue or complaint in line with our Corporate Customer Service Charter.

Complaining about an action or decision made by Council

We value feedback from our customers. We use your feedback to improve our delivery of products and services.

If you are unhappy with something we have done, you can make an administrative action complaint.

Section 268(2) of the Local Government Act 2009 defines an administrative action complaint as a complaint about an administrative action of Council made by an affected person.  An affected person is someone who is affected by the administrative action.  An administrative action of Council includes a decision or failure to make a decision, a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision, an act or failure to do an act, the formulation of a proposal or intention, or the making of a recommendation.

Examples might include being unhappy with a service we have performed, a decision we have made or the actions taken by Council staff.

If you would like to make an administrative action complaint, please put your complaint in writing using one of the following methods:

When we receive your administrative action complaint, we follow the process set out in the Administrative Action Complaints Policy. We will contact you within 10 business days to let you know we have received your complaint.

For more information, please download our Administrative Action Complaints Policy (PDF 247 KB)

In most cases, your complaint will be reviewed and investigated by the manager of the area the complaint relates to. In some cases, the complaint will be reviewed by a director at Council.

How long will it take for Council to investigate my complaint?

We must investigate your complaint and give you a response within 20 business days, unless it is a complicated issue.

For complicated issues, we must let you know that the issue is complicated and that we may need up to 20 more business days to respond.

What can I do if I’m not happy about the response given to my administrative action complaint?

If you are unhappy with the response we give, you can request an internal review by a director. To request an internal review, you should put your complaint in writing using one of the following methods:

If you are unhappy with an internal review done by a director, you may refer the matter to the Queensland Ombudsman's Office. Please visit Queensland Government - It's OK to Complain for more information about your rights and how complaints are handled.

If you are unhappy with an internal review about a water related complaint, you may refer the matter to the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland.

Where do I get more information?

If you would like further information about making an administrative action complaint, please contact the Integrity and Information Program on 07 3412 3412 or email us at

To find more information about making an administration action complaint, please visit Queensland Ombudsman.