Inside Page Baner

Air & Light Nuisances

Emissions into the air can cause a nuisance to neighbours and interfere with their normal daily activities. It can even affect their health under severe conditions.

Council only has jurisdiction to act on certain air pollution issues, and shares the responsibility of air emissions with other government bodies.

Who should I contact regarding air complaints?

Light nuisances
Light Authority
Occurring on residential land and some commercial land Council

Read more about light nuisances in our residential light nuisance fact sheet (PDF 127 KB).


Odour nuisances
Odour Authority
Council sewage treatment plant Council
Private sewage treatment plant Septic tank Department of Environment and Science
General (e.g. fertiliser, pesticides, waste, builders toilet) Council


Smoke nuisances
Smoke Authority
Backyard burning Council
Chimney smoke Council
Bushfire smoke Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Smokey vehicle Department of Transport and Main Roads
Cigarette smoke Queensland Health


Spray drift nuisances
Spray drift Authority
Occuring on residential land and some commercial land Council


Dust nuisances
Dust Authority
Occuring from the clearing of vacant land in preparation for sub-division Council
Occuring on residential land and some commercial land Council


Any person who causes a residential nuisance may receive an infringement notice from Council with an on-the-spot fine of $130 (1 penalty unit) for a first offence increasing to $391 (3 penalty units) for a second offence and then $652 (5 penalty units) for a third offence . Alternatively, Council may issue the person with a compliance notice or a stop order. Any person who fails to comply with the requirements of a compliance notice or stop order is liable to a maximum penalty of $6,527 or $26,110 respectively.

For further information on air nuisances, please contact Council on 07 3412 5318.