Inside Page Baner

Before Building

Is building approval required?

A building development approval (certification), known as a building permit, is required prior to commencing construction on most types of domestic or commercial building works.

Please note that Council does not offer building certification services. These can be sought from a private building certifier, who will assess whether the proposed work complies with the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and building standards. All building certifiers must be registered with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Please refer to our fact sheet (PDF 173 KB) for domestic building works for advice about:

  • The role of a private building certifier
  • The types of building works which require an approval
  • Inspection stages
  • Who is responsible for supervision and quality
  • The importance of ensuring that a building approval is finalise

Please check whether any other types of approvals are required, including planning approvals or plumbing approvals from Council, prior to obtaining a building approval. A building certifier can provide advice about this.

Finding a private building certifier

Council is unable to provide recommendations about which private building certifier to choose. You may:

Providing building records to Council

During the building application and approval process, the private building certifier is required to lodge a copy of approval related documentation with Council. These documents are held on Council's records and may be provided in future to authorised parties, in accordance with legislative obligations.