Inside Page Baner

Is a Planning Assessment Also Required?

Some building projects require a planning assessment by Council, in addition to a building approval. A private building certifier should identify whether a planning assessment is required before you start construction. 

This assessment process through Council will take place prior to a building certifier giving a building approval to start construction.

Common building projects which require a planning assessment

By way of example, this may include works which are:

  • Over minimum boundary setbacks, being located close to the property boundary
  • Over a particular size or height dimension
  • On land affected by an overlay within a planning scheme (for example, a steep slope or flood affected land)  

Further advice

To check whether you or your certifier will need to lodge an application through Council for a planning assessment of the building works, please refer to Development in Logan which also contains information about fees and application lodgement. 

Please also have a look at the fact sheet on the building approval process in Queensland, to see a flowchart showing where the planning assessment sits in relation to the building approval process.