Inside Page Baner

Development Applications

Some development in the City of Logan, depending on where it is occurring and what type of development it is, requires a development application to be lodged with Council for assessment.  The sections below provide useful information to assist with this process.

Current applications

The following options are available to find information about development applications in the City of Logan.

PD Online

To review applications that have been lodged with Council, both those for which a decision has been made, and those for which a decision is pending, please use the Development Enquiries function in PD Online.  PD Online provides quick searches to see applications recently lodged with Council (this/last week or month), and applications recently determined (i.e. where a decision has been made).  Development application documents, including application forms, plans and any notices issued by Council, including Decision Notices, are also available.

My Applications

To revisit applications that you have lodged with Council since 3 July 2017 (the commencement of the Planning Act 2016), and to provide responses (additional information - e.g. a response to an information request) to any undecided applications, please see:

  • My Applications, for development applications, noting you will be prompted to sign in; and
  • Application Enquiry lists, for other types of applications and for development applications currently on public notification, noting that additional enquiry lists will be available if you sign in.

Logan PD Hub

The Development Enquiries function in the Logan PD Hub will present a map where you can 'turn on' and view different applications in areas of interest across the City of Logan.  Properties having one or more applications will be identified on the map; clicking on that marker will display a list of applications lodged on the property, with a link to further detail about each application.

Open Data

Logan's Open Data portal also provides datasets for decided and undecided development applications lodged with Logan City Council since 2010 for properties in the City of Logan (search for 'development applications' to find both datasets - you can review the data online, or download it in spreadsheet, KML or shapefile format).   Also available are building works and plumbing applications (in separate datasets).

Development applications in PDAs

Yarrabilba and Flagstone are Priority Development Areas (PDAs), where development is managed by the State Government.  To view development applications lodged for properties in these areas, please see Priority Development Area Development Applications.

Lodging an application

If approval for a proposed development in the City of Logan is required, the development application may be lodged with Council:

For information about the required forms please see application lodgement.  Council's free pre-lodgement service may also be of assistance.

Whether or not approval is required depends on what type of development is being proposed, where it is being proposed, and whether or not the development is consistent with the Logan Planning Scheme.  For further information please use the Planning Enquiry tool in the Logan PD Hub, which will provide a report indicating whether or not a development application is required (for a selected activity and location), along with listing the relevant sections of the Logan Planning Scheme and some of the key development controls (e.g. building heights) which apply.  Alternatively see Assessment Benchmarks & Categories of Development and Assessment.

Please note that Greater Flagstone and Yarrabilba are Priority Development Areas (PDAs, declared by the Queensland Government on 8 October 2010), for which Council is no longer the planning authority.  To review/download the gazetted development schemes for Greater Flagstone and Yarrabilba, and for any enquiries regarding land use, zoning or development potential for land within these PDAs please contact Economic Development Queensland (a unit of the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government & Planning).

Fees, charges & payments

An estimate of fees associated with development applications and related services is available in the Development Fee Estimate tool in the Logan PD Hub.  For further information, please see fees, charges & payments.

Fact sheets

Logan City Council has produced the following fact sheets relating to development applications:

To review the full list of planning and development fact sheets, see forms & fact sheets

Public notification and submissions

Development applications which are impact assessable must provide the opportunity for public comment prior to a decision about the development being made by Council.  For more information please see Public Notification, or refer to the Development Application Submissions Fact Sheet (PDF 41 KB)

Changing a development approval

There are two types of changes that can be made to a development approval, depening on when the change is made (i.e. during the appeal period or after the appeal period has ended).

Change Representations (changes during the appeal period)

In order to make a change to a development approval, during the appeal period, an applicant must lodge Change Representations to Council before the appeal period ends.

It is recommended that when an applicant makes Change Representations to Council, they suspend the appeal period to allow sufficient time for the applicant to make, and for Council to consider, the representations.  To submit Change Representations and suspend the appeal period, please ensure the required materials are ready for submission, and then contact Council.

For further information refer to the Change Representations Fact Sheet provided by the Queensland Government.

Change Application (changes after the appeal period has ended)

In order to make a change to a development approval, after the appeal period has ended, an applicant must lodge a Change Application. There are two types of Change Applications:

  • Minor change
  • Other change.

A minor change means a change that would not result in substantially different development, and would not cause any of the following:

  • the inclusion of prohibited development in the application; or
  • referral to a referral agency, other than to the chief executive (SARA), if there were no referral agencies for the development application;
  • involve a referral agency, other than the chief executive (SARA), if there were no referral agencies for the development application; or
  • involve extra referral agencies, other than to the chief executive (SARA); or
  • a referral agency to assess the application against, or have regard to, matters prescribed by regulation under section 55(2), other than matters the referral agency must have assessed the application against, or have had regard to, when the application was made; or
  • public notification if public notification was not required for the development application.

If the proposed change is not a minor change, it is an "other change".  To lodge a Change Application, please include the following:

For further information refer to the Changing, Cancelling and Extending Development Approvals Fact Sheet provided by the Queensland Government.

Extending a development approval (currency period)

Before a development approval lapses, an applicant may extend the currency period by lodging an Extension Application.  The currency period is the time period that an approval is valid for. The types of approvals below generally have the following currency period:

  • Material Change of Use - six years
  • Reconfiguring a Lot - four years
  • Operational Works and Building Works Assessable against a Planning Scheme - two years.

To lodge an Extension Application, please include the following:

For further information refer to the Changing, Cancelling and Extending Development Approvals Fact Sheet provided by the Queensland Government.

RiskSmart and other streamlined services

Council offers streamlined services to shorten assessment timeframes and provide greater certainty for customers.  Learn more about:

  • RiskSmart Planning - using accredited consultants for low-risk applications;
  • RiskSmart Operational Works - using accredited engineering consultants for low-risk operational works applications;
  • ExpressSeal - using accredited consultants to certify that conditions of approval have been fulfilled (endorse survey plans).

Types of applications (MCU, ROL, BWAP)

Material Change of Use (MCU)

A Material Change of Use development application is required when there is:

  • The start of a new use of the premises; or
  • The re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned; or
  • A material change in the intensity of scale of the use of the premises.

For example, when a block of land changes from being vacant to a dwelling house or dual occupancy, this would constitute a material change of use.

Reconfiguring a Lot

A development application for Reconfiguring a Lot is required when:

  • Creating lots by subdividing another lot; or
  • Amalgamating two or more lots; or
  • Rearranging the boundaries of a lot by registering a plan of subdivision; or
  • Dividing land into parts by agreement (other than a lease for a term, including renewal options, not exceeding 10 years) rendering different parts of a lot immediately available for separate disposition or separate occupation, or creating an easement giving access to a lot from a constructed road; or
  • Applying for an access easement.

For example, when a block is subdivided into three lots, this would constitute Reconfiguring a Lot.  For further information, refer to the Reconfiguring a Lot Fact Sheet (PDF 60 KB).

Building works assessable against the planning scheme (BWAP)

Where a residential property already has a dwelling house on it, any further improvements to the property such as building a shed, carport, house extension and swimming pool are known as building works.  Building Works Assessable against a Planning Scheme (BWAP) applications do not involve a Material Change of Use, but involve a building project which does not meet the standards required by the Planning Scheme and needs to be assessed.

Many building works projects are accepted development, meaning there is no development application or approval required.  However, if the proposed development does not meet all of the acceptable outcomes of the applicable codes from the Logan Planning Scheme, it will become code assessable and require a development application to be lodged.  It will depend upon exactly what is being done and where it is being done.  To learn more, please see Assessment Benchmarks & Categories of Development and Assessment.

Operational Works (OPW)

After receiving a development approval for a Material Change of Use or Reconfiguring a Lot, an Operational Works application may be required.  This application is for work relating to the development such as excavating and filling, clearing vegetation, infrastructure work, landscaping and driveway crossovers. For more information please see Operational Works.

Standard conditions

Council's standard development approval conditions document is as follows Standard Development Approval Conditions (PDF 914 KB).

Exemption Certificates

In limited circumstances (e.g. an error in the planning scheme), Council may issue an Exemption Certificate to a property owner for an assessable development, resulting in a development application (and approval) not being required.

Council has an Exemption Certificate Register (PDF, 110KB) which provides information about Exemption Certificates issued for properties in the City of Logan.  To discuss an Exemption Certificate, please contact Council.

For further information about Exemption Certficates, refer to the Exemption Certificate Fact Sheet provided by the Queensland Government.

Condition Certificates

A development approval may include conditions that require subsequent material to be certified by Council (e.g. detailed plans, reports etc. which may not have been available at the time the development application was assessed).  To obtain this "Condition Certificate", please ensure the required materials are ready for submission, and then contact Council.

Compliance assessment

Requests for Compliance assessment can only be made for approvals given under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 which have a condition of approval requiring an application for compliance assessment to be made to Council.  To lodge a Request for Compliance Assessment, please include the following:

The Development Assessment process

Queensland has a common system through which development applications must be made and assessed. The Development Assessment framework includes the process, rules and forms, and guides the way councils and other agencies assess and make decisions on various types of land use and development proposals.

For more information on this process, refer to the Queensland Planning System's Development Assessment Process.

For further assistance please contact Council.