Inside Page Baner

Plan Sealing

A survey plan that creates new titles, easements and/or covenants, known as a "subdivision plan" or a "plan of reconfiguration", is required to be lodged with Council for "plan sealing" approval prior to registration with the State Government's Titles Registry.

Plan sealing applications

Before Council can seal a survey plan, the development must comply with the conditions of all relevant approvals.  The applicant must also ensure the payment of any levied and/or outstanding rates and infrastructure charges prior to plan sealing.

Step 1 - Preliminary Plan Sealing Request

Council requires all applicants to utilise the Preliminary Plan Sealing Service for all applications.

Preliminary Plan Sealing is a free service designed to reduce delays by early initiation of a wide range of processes, including:

  • Quotation for infrastructure charges (valid for 30 days from issue)
  • Notice of Account for Plan Sealing Request fees
  • Preparation of legal documentation and Council's execution of same
  • Provides the relevant officer contact details
  • A preliminary review of the request and clear directions for any amendments or actions required prior to Formal Plan Sealing Request are delivered in a Preliminary Response within 7 business days:
    • Preliminary Parent Approval Status Report
    • Preliminary Operational Works Status Report
    • Preliminary Parks/Landscape Status Report
  • Provides a "Compliance Report" template
  • Bonding and pre-bonding inspection

It is appropriate to lodge your Preliminary Plan Sealing Request when:

  • 100% of earthworks are complete; and
  • at least 50% of essential services infrastructure (water and sewer) is complete

To lodge a Preliminary Plan Sealing application:

  1. Fill out the Preliminary Plan Sealing Request Form (PDF 143 KB)
  2. Email the form and draft survey plan to

Step 2 - Formal Plan Sealing Request

A Formal Plan Sealing Request can be lodged when all “required actions” in the Preliminary Response have been satisfied.

To lodge a Formal Plan Sealing application:

1. Formal Plan Sealing Request Form
(PDF 101 KB)
Complete the Formal Plan Sealing Request Form. 
2. Compliance ReportComplete the Compliance Report (template included in the Preliminary Response email issued by Council).  Whilst this is not a mandatory requirement for formal plan sealing lodgement, providing a completed report will assist to accelerate the endorsement of the survey plan.
3. Notice of AccountThe Notice of Account (included in the Preliminary Response email issued by Council) will assist in the formal lodgement of the plan sealing application at Council’s Planning, Building and Plumbing counter at the Logan City Council Administration Centre.  This Account can be paid, along with the Infrastructure Contributions Quotation on the day formal plan sealing lodgement occurs, so please remember to bring it with you and present it to the Front Counter Officer.  
4. Legal DocumentationAll original legal documentation signed by the Registered Owner/s must be lodged with Council.  Including the original survey plan, easements or covenants in favour of Council and transfer documents.  
5. Lodgement

The original hard copy survey plan, easements or covenants in favour of Council and transfer documents must be submitted to Council.  Formal requests for plan sealing can be lodged at the Planning, Building and Plumbing counter at the Logan City Council Administration Centre at 150 Wembley Road, Logan Central.  Alternatively, requests can also be lodged at our Beenleigh and Jimboomba customer service centres.  Please ensure documents are well secured in an appropriately sized postal tube to ensure the documents are well protected during transit to the Administration Centre at Logan Central.  Please attention documentation to the Development Assessment Branch, Plan Sealing Officer.  Supporting documentation may be emailed to

To have a survey plan re-endorsed (within 12 months of previous Council endorsement), please use the Re-endorsement of Survey Plan Request Form (PDF 282 KB) (fees apply).

Please see:


Council's ExpressSeal service may also be of interest. This allows plan sealing applications to be fast-tracked by engaging accredited consultants to facilitate the certification of compliance (i.e. ensuring conditions of approval are fulfilled prior to the plan sealing application being lodged with Council).

Council easements and other legal documentation

It may be required that Council-owned easements are registered as part of your development application, particularly in cases where Council-owned sewerage or stormwater infrastructure is (or is proposed to be) located on your property.

Council offers applicants the option to utilise Standard Terms Documents for Easements allowing the applicant’s solicitor to prepare easement documents and lodge them together with the endorsed survey plan at the Titles Office. The standard terms documents cover all easements in favour of Council, which cover the following:

  • Drainage
  • Sewerage
  • Water supply
  • Access and services
  • Right of way

Council has two standard terms documents one for easements over freehold land, another for easements over trust land and reserves. These standard terms documents are registered with the Titles Registry and have the following dealing numbers:

To assist in preparing easement documentation, please refer to Council's Example of an acceptable Form 9 (PDF 22 KB) document or the Department of Natural Resources and Mines Preparation Checklist Form 9 - Easement (in gross).

Alternatively, applicants can continue to instruct Council’s solicitors to prepare easement documentation on their behalf and at their cost.  A Request for Preparation of Legal Documentation Form (PDF 358 KB) is required with the lodgement of the plan sealing application. This application form may also be utilised where a transfer of a lot to Council in fee simple is required.  However, it is important to note that in both cases a "Solicitors Undertaking to Lodge" will be required in order for the applicant to lodge the survey plan and legal documents at the Titles Office for registration.

In some cases execution of legal documents by Council may be required where there is no survey plan to be endorsed.  This may include General Consents (Form 18), Easements for drainage, sewerage, water supply and right of way (Form 9), Surrender of Easements (Form 10) or Transfers (Form 1).  A Request for Execution of Legal Documentation Form (PDF 263 KB) should be utilised for all such requests.

Infrastructure contributions quote

The Logan PD Hub provides an Infrastructure Charges Estimator tool which can be used to obtain an estimate of applicable infrastructure charges.

Infrastructure contributions "quotes" can also be provided by Council as part of the Preliminary Plan Sealing Service and ExpressSeal. These quotes allow applicants seeking a compliance certificate for a plan of subdivision (i.e. plan sealing) to pay the relevant infrastructure contributions on the day the plan sealing application is lodged with Council.

The "quote" will be valid for 30 days only. The applicant will have 30 days to lodge the formal Plan Sealing application, pay the relevant plan sealing application fees and pay the relevant infrastructure charges together on the same day.

Please note: Council will issue one (1) Contributions Quotation per application which is valid for 30 days only. Should the Contributions Quotation lapse prior to formal plan sealing lodgement, a Contributions Invoice will be issued 3-5 business days after formal plan sealing lodgement has occurred, as per the standard procedure.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can help me prepare my survey plan?

Council suggests that you make contact with an appropriately qualified professional. As a starting point, Council recommends you liaise with a qualified surveyor who has experience with working in Logan City.

What charges are payable prior to a plan being sealed?

The Planning Regulation 2017 requires ‘there are no outstanding rates of charges levied by the local government or expenses that are a charge over the land under any Act’. This includes rates and charges that have been levied by Council but which are not yet due.

When are rates levied?

Rates are levied on the first weekend in the rating quarter (early January, April, July and October).

When are rates issued?

Rates notices are printed and sent via post approximately 7-10 days into the rating quarter.

What period do rates cover?

Rates are levied in advance, for the following periods:

Rates LeviedPeriod Covered
Early January1 January - 31 March
Early April1 April - 30 June
Early July1 July - 30 September
Early October1 October - 31 December

The exception to the above is water consumption charges, which are based on actual usage and are billed in arrears.

I need to pay my rates but have not yet received a rates notice. What can I do?

The payment reference numbers (BPay, phone payments etc) from any previous rates notice can be used to make payments, as these remain constant. Alternatively, please contact the Recoveries Team on 07 3412 3412 or who can provide payment details, or process payments via credit card (note – merchant surcharge applies to credit card payments).

What happens to any credit if I have overpaid?

Rates and charges will be reassessed at the date of registration of the plan. Any credit arising from rates paid beyond this date will be issued a full refund.

How long will it take for my plan sealing application to be finalised by Council?

Council is bound by State Government legislation, being the Planning Act 2016. If Council Officers review the works and documentation and deem that all is in accordance with the relevant approvals, then Council is required by legislation to endorse the survey plan within twenty (20) business days.

What do I do after Council endorses my survey plan?

If there further requirements to satisfy your conditions of approval (ie. there may be bonding agreements in place), Council suggests you make contact with the Titles Office, which is part of the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME).

For your information, the closest office to Logan City Council is at 32 Tansey Street, Beenleigh and the contact phone is 131-304.

What is bonding?

Bonding is a process where the applicant gives Council financial security (cash, bank guarantee or cheque) for a range of reasons, including uncompleted development construction works, as-constructed drawings and maintenance security.

Note: Essential services including water and sewerage infrastructure cannot be bonded. Council requires Water and Sewer Standard Drawings certified by an RPEQ, and pressure test results and connection fees paid prior to plan sealing in accordance with the Plan Sealing Guidelines.

What are 'As Constructed' drawings?

'As Constructed' drawings are documents that provide detailed information relating to civil works that have been undertaken as part of the development to Council. These documents are required in both hard copy and soft copy (CD) when lodged with Council.

Please note that the submission of some 'As Constructed' drawings can be bonded. The bonded work must be completed within the timeframe mentioned in the Bonding Agreement.

What do I do if the conditions in my Permit require a Plumbing and Drainage approval?

If the conditions in your permit state that I need to lodge a Plumbing and Drainage application, I need a Plumbing and Drainage Compliance Permit or that I need to have a Plumbing and Drainage inspection, please either visit the Plumbing and Drainage page for more information or contact the Plumbing and Drainage team on 07 3412 4840.

When can I start building a house on my newly created block?

The Survey Plan is required to be endorsed by Council and the titles registered by the Titles Office - which is part of the Queensland Government's Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME) - before the newly created allotment can be built upon.