RiskSmart is a quick and easy way to get development applications approved by Logan City Council, by enabling the assessment of simple, low-risk applications to be carried out by accredited RiskSmart consultants. RiskSmart applications are eligible for a discount on Council's application fees.
The accredited consultant assesses the application against the Logan Planning Scheme and RiskSmart criteria and prepares the approval paperwork and supporting documentation for Council. This documentation is then reviewed by Council Officers and the decision notice is issued by Council as the Assessment Manager (usually within 5 business days).
How does RiskSmart work?
If a code assessable development complies with all of the acceptable outcomes and meets the specified RiskSmart criteria, it will automatically be eligible for the RiskSmart process.
If the proposal does not comply with an acceptable outcome, the proposal must be assessed against the performance outcome. Prior to lodging the development application, an accredited RiskSmart consultant may seek Council advice on compliance with the performance outcome.
If a proposal does not comply with the specified RiskSmart criteria contained within the relevant check sheet, it is not eligible for RiskSmart.
RiskSmart eligibility and checksheets
Under the Logan Planning Scheme 2015, all code assessable Material Change of Use and Reconfiguring a Lot applications are eligible for RiskSmart.
The RiskSmart Checksheets below must be used in order to determine if a particular use meets the specified RiskSmart criteria:
- Dual Occupancy (Auxiliary Unit) and Dwelling House Assessment Checksheet (PDF 876 KB)
- RiskSmart Planning Checksheet (PDF 2130 KB)
Lodging a RiskSmart Planning application
RiskSmart applications include a pre-lodgement process to ensure a properly made application is received for a speedy assessment:
- The application is lodged as a "DA RiskSmart Pre-application" via the online service below, with all of the documentation attached, noting that no payment is made at this stage.
- Council officers check the documentation and work with you to ensure everything is lodgement-ready, at which point an Invitation to Lodge will be issued to you, including a Notice of Account (for payment) and edited conditions.
- You pay the fees (according to the instructions on the Notice of Account) and lodge the completed application via email (to DALodgements@logan.qld.gov.au, cc DARiskSmart@logan.qld.gov.au) for RiskSmart assessment.
To lodge a RiskSmart pre-application online, please use Council's online lodgement service via the button below, noting that you need to be a registered user, and you will be prompted to sign in prior to lodging your application.
To lodge a RiskSmart - Planning application, the following needs to be submitted with the application:
- The Dual Occupancy (Auxiliary Unit) and Dwelling House Assessment Checksheet (PDF 876 KB) or the RiskSmart Checksheet (PDF 2130 KB)
- DA Form 1
- Application fee (PDF 7445 KB)
- Supporting documentation such as plans and town planning report
- RiskSmart interactive conditions documents can be generated and downloaded
- RiskSmart delegates report can be downloaded here together with all other relevant RiskSmart materials.
To access previously lodged applications and/or upload additional content please use the link below; you will be prompted to sign in.
Accredited RiskSmart consultants
The following consultants are accredited to undertake RiskSmart - Planning applications:
Becoming an accredited RiskSmart consultant
In order to become an accredited RiskSmart consultant with Council, the consultant and consultancy making the application must demonstrate their competency. This is done by providing to Council previous examples of their work undertaken within Logan City Council.
Council will then review the application and chose to accredit (or deny) the Consultant and Consultancy. In particular, the individual and the firm are accredited under the one agreement and the moment the individual leaves that firm the accreditation becomes null and void.
There are five development types that an accredited RiskSmart consultant may be accredited for:
- Residential - House
- Residential - Other (includes mixed use developments incorporating residential component)
- Reconfiguring a lot (within any zone)
- Commercial/retail/other (also includes mixed use developments incorporating residential component and other uses not listed here)
If successful, the Consultant and Company must sign the RiskSmart Planning Accreditation Agreement (PDF 1866 KB).