Environmental Events & Activities
Community Koala Survey Weekend - Saturday 18 October and Sunday 19 October
2014 marks the fourth year of Logan City Council's Community Koala Survey weekend. This event has been held in Logan since 2011. The aim of the annual survey weekend is to collect vital information on sex, health and location of Koalas in Logan.
- When: Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 October 2014
- Where: Throughout Logan City
- Register your interest by phone 3412 4491 or email email@example.com. For more information on how to spot a Koala, check out www.logan.qld.gov.au/koalas. To log your sightings over the weekend using your iPhone go to www.logan.qld.gov.au/wildlifesightings.
* Koala image courtesy of Joanne Spencer-Lang.
Glossy Black-Cockatoo Survey Day - Sunday 19 October
2014 marks the fifth year of the annual Glossy Black Birding Day. This citizen science event has been held throughout the SEQ and northern NSW region since 2010. Coordinated by the Glossy Black Conservancy, the aim of the annual survey day is to learn more about the status and trends within the population.
Glossy Black-Cockatoos are often mistaken for Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos so it is important to register for this survey. Please register your interest by phoning us on 3412 4491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive 1) Information on how to correctly identify a Glossy Black-Cockatoo; 2) Information on how to identify their feeding trees; 3) Instructions on how to survey for Glossy Black-Cockatoos; and 4) Helpful links to videos to view the Glossy Black-Cockatoos in their natural habitat.
- When: Sunday 19 October 2014
- Where: Throughout SEQ and northern NSW, but really anywhere there are glossies
- Register your interest by phone 3412 4491 or email email@example.com. For more information on how to spot a Glossy Black-Cockatoo, go to the Glossy Black Conservancy website. Log your sightings at www.logan.qld.gov.au/wildlifesightings
* Glossy Black-Cockatoo image courtesy of George Gornacz.
Environmental events and activities - July - December 2014
Check out our Environmental Events and Activities Program for July to December 2014. Workshops and events are free and run by Logan City Council for Logan residents. Workshops are suitable for adults unless noted. Bookings are essential and places are limited. Phone 3412 4491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or be placed on the mailing list for future programs.
To provide feedback on Council's 'Composting and Worm Farming Basics' workshop, please submit a feedback form and you will go into the draw to win Peter Bennett's 'Organic Gardening'.
Free Dog Behaviour Seminars: Reducing Your Dog's Impact on Wildlife
Logan City Council in conjunction with the RSPCA Animal Training and Behaviour Centre and Daisy Hill Koala Centre will be running free seminars to show you how to train your dog to be wildlife-friendly.
Dates for the next seminars are:
- Sunday 23rd November 2014 10am - 12pm
- Sunday 22nd February 2015 10am - 12pm
To book a spot please call 3412 5043 or email Kristen.GARNETT@ehp.qld.gov.au and advise which date you would like to attend.
Get involved with Rivers and Wetlands Recovery
Check out the wide range of activities that you can participate in around Logan to help improve the health of our waterways and wetlands. Upcoming activities include:
- World Rivers Day - Paddle on the Albert River (28 September)
For more information please check out the get involved page.
Logan Wildlife Ambulance
RSPCA Qld and Logan City Council have joined forces to launch the City's animal ambulance primarily for sick, injured or orphaned wildlife in Logan. Primarily staffed by volunteers, the ambulance will run 24 hours / 7 days a week and service the entire Logan area. If you would like to volunteer for the ambulance or other RSPCA positions, check out the RSPCA website for further information and available positions.
Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF)
Council also celebrates World Environment Day by holding the Logan Eco Action Festival (LEAF) in June every year from 10am-3pm at Griffith University - Logan Campus, University Drive, Meadowbrook.