The area which is now Crestmead was originally taken up by a number of Swedish settlers in 1885. The first group arrived on the Chybassa in January 1885. Mâns Stjernqvist, a farm labourer, his wife Nilla and their seven children travelled with Per Swensen and Mâns Trulsen, also farm labourers. The Chybassa's second voyage to Brisbane in October that year bought two Swensen families. Mattis and Johanna and their eight children, and Matis's brother Suva, wife Johanna, and three children, all travelled together. Their youngest child was born on the journey and named Godfrey Chybassa. The Swensens were accompanied by Peter and Johanna Abrahamsen and their four young children. A survey office plan dated June 1886 notes that the region occupied by these settlers, in the vicinity of Bayliss and Green Roads, had poor sandy soil, thickly and heavily timbered with oak, gum, and stringybark. The area was cris-crossed with timber-getters' tracks and there was one house at this time, which was located between Green Road and Hubner Road.
Mâns Stjernqvist took up land, which is now the Crestmead industrial estate, in December 1885. His eldest son Nils apparently worked as a wheelwright for the mail coaches that frequented the area at the time. In 1886, Peter Abrahamsen, Suva Swensen, and Matts Swensen took up leases together. All grew oats, maize, potatoes and turnips and grazed cattle and horses. Mâns Trulson took up land to the east of Stjernqvist in January 1887. He had a slab house with a shingle roof in the vicinity of the current location of St Francis College, Crestmead. He had three acres stumped and ploughed when his selection was inspected in 1892. Peter Abrahamsen's wife Johanna died in December 1887, leaving him with four young children. He remarried in 1898, to Inger Andersen, widow of Anders Andersen.
Later residents of the area, John and George Hubner, initially took up Agricultural Farm Selections around 1893, but later forfeited and reselected these with adjoining parcels of land as Agricultural Homestead Selections. John Hubner established a flourishing estate on his property straddling Lindenthal Road at Park Ridge. When he had difficulty making a payment on his lease in 1903, he wrote to the government stating that he had a six-roomed sawn timber cottage, with a veranda, detached kitchen, underground cellar and a fireplace. The property included a toilet, fowl-house, three acres of garden with four hundred fruit trees including apples, plums, peach and orange trees. He also had pineapples and bananas planted, and a cow yard and calf pen. Presumably the severe drought of that time had led to some difficulty in making payment. Many people left the area during this drought, and numbers at the Browns Plains School fell, so that the school had to be closed.
The area remained in use for grazing and timber getting for many years to come, until the urban subdivisions of the late 1970s began. An Industrial Estate opened on the property originally owned by Mans Stjernqvist in 1981. One of the housing estates was known as Crestmead. Despite Beaudesert Shire initially allocating the unofficial placename of Hubner, Crestmead was eventually gazetted in 1987. The Crestmead State School, was called Hubner during construction, but was officially named Crestmead when it opened in 1984.