Inside Page Baner

Cedar Creek

Timber getter Jessie Daniells was probably the first European to establish himself in the region. He initially migrated to Victoria aboard the Tudor in 1857 and worked Geelong learning the timber trade. He and wife Charlotte and 3 young children moved to Queensland. Jesse worked briefly at a Pimpama cotton plantation during 1863, before establishing a timber mill there. In 1864 he moved the mill to Cedar Creek, where he prospered and remained for 25 years. His property was known as 'Rodborough Farm' which served as the centre of hospitality for local timbergetters and was located opposite the Luscombe rafting ground. He later relocated to Canungra.

David Veivers was one of the early settlers to this region, having arrived in Brisbane in 1859 and then was involved in timber getting in the Nerang District with his two brothers. The then selected land with a frontage to the Albert River, and continued to expand his landholdings until he had several thousand acres. Veivers was an original member of the Waterford Divisional Board and a founder of the Cedar Creek School. He had established his dairy in the 1870s when most other farmers were still growing sugar. He was a shareholder in the Queensland Co-operative Meat Export Company and the Kingston Butter Factory. His property was known as Park House and the family cemetery remains on the property.

A Wesleyan Church was built here in 1871 on the property of Mr Bowser. The Cedar Creek School opened in 1874.

David Viever's grandson Alf married Jesse Daniells' daughter Charlotte in 1896 and they lived in the old Daniells house at Cedar Creek.

On the east side of the river is the suburb of Luscombe, which was the original name of Isaac Shaw's property. Fred and Isaac established a sugar mill in 1885 and during their first crushing, was handling three tons of sugar per day. Presumably they were hard hit in the floods of January 1887 because the property was up for auction in March. Shaws also had a seaside property north of Southport called Labrador, which later became a hostel.

Chardons Bridge on the Upper Albert was washed away in the floods of June 1903 and the Luscombe Bridge was extensively damaged.

The Cedar Creek Hall was built in 1913.

Chardon's bridge was washed away in the flood of March 1946 and a new one opened in early January 1947. Fortunately it did survive the floods of late January and mid February 1947.

In 1984 rock quarried from Cedar Creek was used to build the Southport bar.

A new industry was developed in 1986. The Doertelmann family established a crayfish aquaculture business near Luscombe Weir.

A new building was added to the school in 1981 and again in 1995. It celebrated its 125th anniversary in September 1999.