We have created a disaster education and preparation unit plan for Year Five students. It provides teachers with disaster-management information and resources.
The disaster unit plan links to the Year Five humanities and social sciences Australian curriculum. It includes:
- lesson plans
- challenge activities
- a word and board game.
Educating students about natural disasters and hazards will:
- increase children’s safety during emergencies
- encourage students to identify the risks that come with natural disasters.
The disaster education unit outline (PDF 454 KB) contains:
- a brief overview of each lesson
- related resources
- relevant Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority codes and achievement standards.
- Lesson 1 – introduction to floods, storms and bushfires (PDF 303 KB)
- Lesson 2 – protection and help from natural disasters (PDF 311 KB)
- Lesson 3 – flood safety and natural disaster locations (PDF 92 KB)
- Lesson 4 – flood after-effects and disaster management (PDF 303 KB)
- Lesson 5 – harmful effects of flooding (PDF 117 KB)
- Lesson 6 – difference between bushfires and back burning (PDF 100 KB)
- Lesson 7 – bushfires and environmental harm (PDF 114 KB)
- Lesson 8 – bushfire preparation and protection (PDF 187 KB)
- Lesson 9 – emergency safety procedures (PDF 142 KB)
- Lesson 10 – protecting the community (PDF 107 KB)
These worksheets support the lesson plans and make sure program is interactive for students.
- Worksheet 1 – what is a flood, storm and bushfire? (PDF 104 KB)
- Worksheet 2 – where, when and why? (PDF 120 KB)
- Worksheet 3 – what would you do? (PDF 282 KB)
- Worksheet 4 – emergency contacts (PDF 208 KB)
- Worksheet 5 – acrostic poem (PDF 260 KB)
- Worksheet 6 – types of flooding (PDF 366 KB)
- Worksheet 7 – Queensldand natural disaster map (PDF 205 KB)
- Worksheet 8 – how to prepare your home and family (PDF 261 KB)
- Worksheet 9 – flood preparation guide (PDF 158 KB)
- Worksheet 10 – storm preparation guide (PDF 223 KB)
- Worksheet 11 – bushfire preparation guide (PDF 219 KB)
- Worksheet 12 – protecting your home (PDF 236 KB)
Activities, games and challenges
Use the following resources to create interactive learning opportunities for students.
- Flood, storm and bushfire preparation board game (PDF 4489 KB)
- Sustainable homes – design and technologies challenge (PDF 189 KB)
- Sustainable homes – criteria sheet (PDF 266 KB)
- Safety procedures – design challenge (PDF 280 KB)
- Safety procedures – criteria sheet (PDF 253 KB)
- Persuasive letter writing – starters (PDF 443 KB)
- Word wall – vocabulary activity (PDF 770 KB)
- Defining floods, storms and bushfires – poster (PDF 5612 KB)
- Preparing for a bushfire – poster (PDF 3834 KB)
- Preparing for a flood – poster (PDF 2058 KB)
- Preparing for a storm – poster (PDF 2316 KB)