You can access our My Property tool to find local schools, closest public transport options and more.
Timber getter Jessie Daniells was probably the first European to establish himself in the Cedar Creek region.
Daniells migrated to Victoria aboard the Tudor in 1857 and worked in Geelong learning the timber trade. He moved to Queensland with his wife Charlotte and three young children.
Daniells worked briefly at a Pimpama cotton plantation during 1863, before establishing a timber mill there. In 1864, he moved the mill to Cedar Creek, where he prospered and remained for 25 years. His property was known as Rodborough Farm. It served as the centre of hospitality for local timber getters and was located opposite the Luscombe rafting ground. He later relocated to Canungra.
David Veivers was one of the early settlers to this region. He arrived in Brisbane in 1859 and was then involved in timber getting in the Nerang district with his two brothers. He selected land with a frontage to the Albert River, and continued to expand his landholdings until he had several thousand acres.
Veivers was an original member of the Waterford Divisional Board and a founder of the Cedar Creek School. He had established his dairy in the 1870s when most other farmers were still growing sugar. He was a shareholder in the Queensland Co-operative Meat Export Company and the Kingston Butter Factory. His property was known as Park House, and the family cemetery remains on the property.
A Wesleyan Church was built In Cedar Creek in 1871 on the property of Mr Bowser. The Cedar Creek School opened in 1874. Veiver's grandson Alf married Jesse Daniells' daughter Charlotte in 1896 and they lived in the old Daniells house at Cedar Creek.
On the east side of the river is the suburb of Luscombe, which was the original name of Isaac Shaw's property. Fred and Isaac Shaw established a sugar mill in 1885 and, during their first crushing, were handling three tons of sugar per day. Presumably they were hard hit in the floods of January 1887, because the property was up for auction in March. The Shaws also had a seaside property north of Southport called Labrador, which later became a hostel.
Chardon’s Bridge on the Upper Albert was washed away in the floods of June 1903 and the Luscombe Bridge was extensively damaged.
The Cedar Creek hall was built in 1913. Chardon's Bridge was washed away again in the flood of March 1946 and a new one opened in early January 1947. Fortunately it survived the floods of late-January and mid-February 1947.
In 1984, rock quarried from Cedar Creek was used to build the Southport Bar. In 1986, a new industry was developed when the Doertelmann family established a crayfish aquaculture business near Luscombe Weir.
A new building was added to Cedar Creek School in 1981 and again in 1995. It celebrated its 125th anniversary in September 1999.