Which food business category applies to my business?

This new standard applies to businesses in food service, catering and retail sectors that handle unpackaged, potentially hazardous food that is ready to eat.

Generally, this includes caterers, restaurants, cafés, takeaway shops, pubs, supermarkets and delis, food vans and other facilities serving food. The standard requires these businesses to apply either two or three food safety management tools, based on their food handling activities. The three tools are a food safety supervisor, food handler training and substantiation of critical food safety controls.

The standard classifies businesses as category one or category two businesses (explained below). Category 1 businesses must implement all three management tools. Category 2 businesses must have a food safety supervisor and have staff trained in safe food handling.