Footpath dining information

What is footpath dining?

Footpath dining allows businesses that sell food and drink, like restaurants and cafes to put tables and chairs out on the footpath. Customers can enjoy the fresh air and warm weather while having a drink or something to eat.

What are the benefits of footpath dining?

Footpath dining allows you to expand your business floor space for much less than the cost of renovating. Customers have the option to sit outside, enjoy the scenery and make the most of our fantastic Queensland weather. Footpath dining zones are a vibrant, active and enjoyable place for people to meet and socialise.

Why do I need a footpath dining permit?

A footpath dining permit is to make footpath dining safe for your customers and people walking past the footpath dining area.

If you want to put tables and chairs on public or Council land on the footpath in front of your business, you will need a permit. For example, to put tables and chairs on the Council footpath outside of your cafe, restaurant, takeaway food store or convenience store you will need a permit.

You don’t need a permit if you are putting your tables and chairs on private land. For example, if your food business is in a shopping centre complex and you put tables and chairs on the footpath, you don’t need a permit from Council but you may need permission from your landlord.

How do I get a footpath dining permit from Council?

Fill in our Footpath dining application form and include the documents requested on the form. These documents include:

  • a floor plan showing where you want to put tables, chairs and equipment like fans, heaters, barriers, signs, planter boxes, benches and storage cupboards drawn to a 1:100 scale. make sure your plan shows:
    • a clear 2-metre-wide path for people to use to walk on the footpath past your business
    • where nearby buildings are, what their use is and where the doorways for those nearby buildings are,
    • the size of the area you want to use
    • the size and types of the tables and chairs you want to use and where you want to put tables and chairs
    • where you want to put awnings, screens and umbrellas and how big they are
    • any nearby loading zones, bus zones, bus seats and shelters, planter boxes, trees, fire hydrants, transformers, telephone booths, mailboxes, rubbish bins, pillars, posts or anything similar
    • any nearby buildings or houses that people live in
    • evidence of current public liability insurance to a minimum value of $20 million dollars, listing Logan City Council as an interested party.

You can download an example of a Floor plan for footpath dining (PDF 235 KB).

How do I transfer my footpath dining permit?

If you are taking over a business that already has a footpath dining permit you will need to apply to get that permit in your name.

Fill in a Footpath dining permit transfer form and wait until you have the new permit in your name to start using the tables and chairs on the footpath.

Do I need other Council permits or licences?

Planning approval

Before you fill in the application form, give our planning team a call to see if you have the correct land use or if you need a development approval. Call us on 07 3412 5269.

Food licence

If you want to sell food or drinks you may need a food licence. Please call our environmental health team to find out if you need a food licence. Call us on 07 3412 4039.

Building approval

If you want to use electrical equipment or build something on the footpath you might need building certification, an engineering report and/or electrical certification. To find out call a private building certifier.

Do I need State Government permits or licences?

Liquor licensing

If you want to sell alcohol in your footpath dining area you will need a liquor licence. Please call the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation on 13 13 04 or visit Liquor and Gaming - Business Queensland

Workplace Health and Safety

Some equipment that you might want to use has workplace health and safety rules that must be followed. To find out more, visit WorkSafe or call 1300 362 128.

Contact us

Please see connect with us for our contact information.