Heritage, local and family history
You will find the Local studies room on the ground floor of Logan Central Library.
The collection holds information about the unique history, culture, environment and development of the Logan region.
The collection offers:
- books, newspapers, magazines and manuscripts on selected subjects
- birth, death, marriage and cemetery indexes, shipping lists, Council minutes, street directories, maps and oral histories
- historic photographs
- clippings from local newspapers. These files are not available online
- microfilm and fiche reader/printers to view local newspapers and other history resources
- computers with internet access to online resources, bookings required
- photocopying and printing, a small fee applies.
To ensure that items are always available for people to use and enjoy, material in the collection cannot be borrowed.
We hold free talks and workshops on history and heritage in the Local Studies room. You can learn about researching family history and Logan’s local heritage.
Family history and genealogy
The Local studies room at Logan Central Library has many hard copy and digital resources to help with family history and genealogy research.
The room has a microfilm/fiche scanner. You can email or print research material or save it to your own USB.
The following resources are available in the Local studies room at Logan Central Library:
- Queensland Pioneer Index 1829 to1889
- Queensland Federation Index 1890 to1914
- Queensland Births 1850 to1919
- Queensland Deaths 1856 to1964
- Queensland Marriages 1839 to1939
- Almanacs, gazetteers, directories, Queensland
- Index to K M Smith, undertaker's records
- Local cemetery lists
- Logan Witness newspaper 1879 to 1893
- Beaudesert Despatch/Times newspaper 1899 to1967
- Albert Advocate/Logan and Albert News newspaper from 1966
- Miscellaneous records of the Moreton Bay region 1855 to1859
- Pamphlet file includes local family histories
- Photograph collection of local area and families
- Pioneer and Settler Register, South East Queensland
- Queensland Family History Society cemetery records
- Queensland Family History Society Lone Grave Collection
- Queensland Family History Society war and other memorials
- Queensland Cemetery Indexes, various
- Queensland Census 1861 to 1901
- Queensland Early Pioneer Indexes 1824 to1859
- Queensland Electoral Rolls 1860 to 1900
- Queensland Immigration Records 1848 to 1923
- Queensland intestacies, insolvencies and wills 1859 to1900
- Queensland Naturalisation Records 1851 to 1905
- Queensland Post Office Directories 1868 to 1949.
New South Wales resources
- New South Wales Births 1788 to 1918
- New South Wales Deaths 1788 to 1945
- New South Wales Marriages 1788 to 1945
- Bounty Immigration to New South Wales 1824 to1842
- Census of New South Wales, November 1828
- Census New South Wales 1828
- General Muster New South Wales 1814
- General Muster New South Wales and Norfolk Island 1811
- Shipping Arrivals and Departures Sydney 1788 to 1825
- Shipping Arrivals and Departures Sydney 1826 tp 1840
- Convicts to New South Wales 1788 to 1812
- General Return of Convicts in New South Wales 1837.
- Victorian Births 1836 to 1920
- Victorian Deaths 1836 to 1985
- Victorian Marriages 1836 to 1942
- Immigration 1852 to 1879
- Inquest index 1840 to 1985
- Victorian Great War Index (BDMs) 1914 to 1920
- Victorian Marriage indexes 1921 tp 1942
- Marine BDMs 1853 to 1920
- Sands and Kenny's Melbourne directories 1857 to 1861.
South Australian resources
- South Australian Births 1842 to 1928
- South Australian Deaths 1842 to 1915
- South Australian Marriages 1842 to 1937.
- Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803 to 1899
- Tasmanian Births 1900 to 1905
- Tasmanian Deaths and Marriages 1900 to 1914.
- Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record
- Emigrants from Hamburg Series
- First Fleet Families
- Fourth Fleet Families of Australia
- Geographical Dictionary of the Australian Colonies 1848
- Pioneer Register, volumes 4 and 5
- Third Fleet Families of Australia.
For more information please call the local heritage specialist on 07 3412 4165.
Other family history resources
Find My Past
FindMyPast covers Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands. You will find thousands of social, government and general history records.
The Ancestry Library database includes US and UK census collections. It includes birth, death and marriages databases; immigration records; family facts and more.
Ancestry Library is accessible free of charge at our libraries.
For local cemetery listings for some Logan cemeteries you can visit the Logan history database.