Cemetery history

A historical representation of each cemetery managed by Logan City Council. 

Beenleigh Cemetery 

Beenleigh Cemetery was established in 1870, nearly ten years after the arrival of the first settlers to the area. In the first five years of operation, there were very few burials as the deceased loved ones continued to be interred on private property or in the burial grounds on sugar plantations. 

Today Beenleigh Cemetery is truly a multicultural centre all faiths with dedicated areas for monument, lawn, and columbarium interments. 

Visit Historical headstones at Beenleigh Cemetery.

Chambers Flat Cemetery 

Chambers Flat Cemetery was established in 1889. However, interments did not start until October 1891 with that of 72-year-old Isabella Carter.  In 1848, John Chambers took up three adjoining lots nearby, giving his name to the area.  

Eagleby Cemetery 

Eagleby Cemetery was formerly the site of the Philadelphia Lutheran Church. Interments are believed to have commenced in the mid-1850s but records date back 1878.The population in this area were mainly German-speaking Lutherans and many of the headstones have inscriptions in the language. 

Logan Village Cemetery 

Logan Village Cemetery was established in 1878. Long term resident William Kirk announced his desire to be interred in the newly established cemetery. His wish was granted the following year. 

Visit Historical headstones at Logan Village cemetery.

Maclean Cemetery 

The land for Maclean Cemetery originally formed part of the property of James Scott after whom Scott’s Lane is named. Interments commenced from 1904.  

Parkhouse Cemetery 

Parkhouse Cemetery was originally spelt Park House when it was first used in 1889. It was named after a property owned by the Veivers Family. For a period in the early 1900s, it was also called the Luscombe Cemetery, as its location near Cedar Creek caused confusion with a cemetery of the same name near Ferny Grove. 

Plunkett Road Cemetery 

This site was originally the private burial ground of the Curtis Family of Leigh Farm on the Albert River. The first interment was that of 8-year-old Helena Curtis in 1868. The extended Curtis family continued to use the cemetery until 2005. It is now closed to further burials.