Short-term accommodation

In Logan, our vibrant and diverse community allows us to support a mix of accommodation types.

You may need a licence to operate short-term accommodation under Local Law No.9 (Licensing) 1999. 

This makes sure your short-term accommodation maintains a high standard of public health and safety.

Do I need a licence?

The following types of short-term accommodation premises require a licence from us:

  • hotels
  • motels
  • motor inns
  • backpacker hostels
  • bed and breakfasts / Air B&Bs, and
  • retirement villages or institutions that are not subject to government funding programs.

You will not need a short-term accommodation licence if your premise is:

For more information about approvals please visit the Local Government Toolbox.

How to apply

To apply please download and complete the Local Law Licence Accommodation / Camping Grounds Application Form (PDF 65KB) and return it to us with payment.

You will also need to include a plan to scale of the operation including the floor plan.

Delays in the assessment and approval process will occur if you don’t include all of the required information.

You can submit your application in person at our customer service centres, by post or email. Please see connect with us for our contact information.

For more information, please call us on 07 3412 3412.

Are other Council approvals needed?

Planning approval

Before submitting your application, you should make sure that the site has the correct land use for the proposed business and if any development approval is needed. For more information, please call us on 07 3412 5269.

Building Approval

All new premises need a building approval (including a Certificate of Classification) from a private certifier before operations begin.

Plumbing Approval

All new premises require a plumbing approval from Council. For more information, please see plumbing and drainage or call us on 07 3412 4840.

Advertising signs

If you want to erect an advertising sign, please see Local law licensing for business or call us on 07 3412 3412 for more information.

Food Licensing

If you want to prepare or sell food at the premise you may need a food licence. For more information, please see Food business licensing or call us on 07 3412 3412.

Are State Government approvals needed?

Fire Safety and Evacuation Plans

Fire safety procedures, equipment and evacuation plans will need to be endorsed by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES).

For more information please visit QFES website for more information.


If you want to sell alcohol on the premises, please visit the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation Queensland website for more information.

Renovations and alterations

If you are making changes such as renovating an existing licensed short-term accommodation premises you will need to download and complete the Local Law Licence Accommodation / Camping Grounds Application Form (PDF 65KB) to amend your licence.

Licence transfers

If you are buying a short-term accommodation premises with an existing licence you will need to apply for a transfer of that licence.

You might want to consider a presale inspection before buying a licensed short-term accommodation premises.

You can apply for a presale inspection by downloading and completing the PS2 - Property Information (Non Residential) Form (PDF 170KB) (option 26).