Microchipping and Desexing your pet
We offer discounted microchipping services to all Logan pet owners. All cats and dogs born after 1 July 2009 must have a microchip.
The great thing about a microchip, unlike a collar or tag, is that it can't get lost! The procedure is quick and almost painless for your pet. It takes longer for you to fill out the paperwork than for the microchip to be implanted!
Our trained staff will implant your pets microchip for only $20 at the Animal Management Centre.
If you think your pet is already microchipped but can't find the details, we can check for a microchip. Bring your pet to the Animal Management Centre and we’ll record the microchip number for you. Microchips are usually located between your pets shoulder blades, but sometimes they can move a little. If we can’t find one, you will need to have your pet microchipped.
Microchipping does not replace your pets registration with us.
To change your pets microchip details, please visit the Pet Address website. You will need to have your pets 15 digit microchip number. The site can tell you who your pets microchip is registered with and you can then contact them directly to update any details.
To save time when you bring your pet in for microchipping, download and fill in the Microchip registration form (PDF 527 KB).
No appointment necessary. Walk-ups welcome.
Terms and conditions for microchipping
- Cats and dogs can be microchipped from 8 weeks old.
- We may ask for proof of your animals age.
- You must be over 18.
- If you’re a Logan resident, you will need proof of your address.
- Please do not bring animals that are sick, injured, nursing or recently operated on. Please do not bring animals with skin conditions.
- Our staff who complete the microchip implants are not able to give veterinary consultations.
- Owners must be responsible for their animals at all times. Please make sure your dogs are kept on a leash and under effective control. Please contain your cats in a suitable carrier.
- Owners are responsible for picking up after their animals.
Benefits of de-sexing your animals
De-sexing your animal is an important part of being a responsible animal owner. De-sexing your animals can:
- stop them from wandering
- reduce unwanted puppies and kittens
- reduce unwanted behaviours such as aggression
- reduce nuisance to neighbours
- increase health benefits.
In some breeds, you can have your animal de-sexed from eight weeks of age or one kilogram in weight. Please call your vet for more information.
Discounted registration applies to de-sexed animals. To get a discount, you will need to give us proof of de-sexing. You can use the following:
- a copy of your animal’s de-sexing certificate
- previous registration notice from another council showing the de-sexed animal’s details
- take your animal to the Animal Management Centre for our staff to see its ear tattoo or de-sexing scars.