Sale of land for rates arrears
Under the Local Government Act, Councils are able to take action that may result in the sale of a property in order to recover overdue rates.
The action taken by this Council for the Sale of Land for Rates Arrears is commenced as a last resort and our officers are prepared to work diligently with ratepayers to recover these arrears and avoid having to sell their properties.
However, it is anticipated that if required, an auction will be held later this year with Auction Notices being placed in local newspapers and on this website. This website will be updated on a regular basis.
Please note that owners have until the fall of the hammer to pay their rates which would then result in their withdrawal from the auction process.
Inspecting the properties
You are not able to inspect the properties before the auction as the residents are still living there. Please respect their privacy.
The owners still have an opportunity to pay the rates up until the auction.
You or your solicitor can do any property searches you feel are important before the auction.
Gaining a valuation
If you need a valuation for the property, you will need to do a curb-side valuation as you will not be able to access to the property.
Conditions of sale/contract
If you plan to bid at an auction, please note the points below.
- To make a bid, you will need to register with the auctioneer on the day of the auction. Please bring photo ID.
- The property will be sold unencumbered and any mortgage or security will be released upon transfer.
- Proceeds of the sale will pay any outstanding rates and fees.
- The purchaser will be responsible for any stamp duties and lodgement fees.
- Settlement terms are 10% payable on the fall of the hammer. You will need to pay the balance within 14 days.
- You can pay with cash, credit card or bank cheque. We will allow a reasonable amount of time for you to get a bank cheque on the day of the auction. Please discuss these arrangements with us before the day of the auction.
- The properties will be sold as is, with all goods and belongings becoming the responsibility of the successful bidder.
- Gaining vacant possession is the responsibility of the successful bidder.
For more information, please contact David Hayden, Senior Recoveries Officer on 07 3412 5256.