Tattooing and body piercing licence information

Tattooing, body piercing, hairdressing, nail salons and beauty therapists can spread diseases and cause infections. These activities are called personal appearance services and need to comply with

Queensland legislation calls tattooing, body piercing and cosmetic tattooing a higher risk personal appearance service.

Do I need a licence?

You will need a licence from us if you do:

  • body piercing
  • tattooing (including cosmetic tattooing and semi-permanent make-up)
  • implanting a natural or synthetic substance into a person’s skin (for example hair or beads)
  • scarring or cutting a person’s skin using a sharp instrument to make a permanent mark, pattern or design like scarification and branding.
  • tattoo removal using micro needles

You will not need a licence from us if you operate

  • hairdressing
  • beauty therapy
  • closed ear or nose piercing only
  • laser tattoo removal
  • acupuncture
  • massage therapy
  • personal appearance services provided within a health-care facility – you don’t need a licence from Council but need to comply with relevant medical legislation

Even if you don’t need a licence from us you still need to comply with the Queensland Government Infection Control Guidelines for Personal Appearance Services.

When planning any activity please make sure you have the correct development approval to operate at your chosen location. You can find development information on our Logan PD Hub.

What you need to know about personal appearance services

If you are operating a tattooing, body piercing or other skin penetration business, you need to minimise the risk of spreading diseases, like HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C, and infections to your customers.

For more information please visit the Queensland Health website - What businesses need to know about personal appearance services.

How to apply - Step 1 - Planning for the application

There are a number of infection control, health and safety issues to consider before opening a tattoo, body piercing or cosmetic tattoo business.

Design and fit-out

Personal appearance services can be operated from a home, shop or mobile premises (e.g. a caravan). All personal appearance services need to meet the same design and fit-out requirements.

To help prepare plans of your business you can download:


When you submit your application you will need to include certification that the plans for the business comply with the Queensland Development Code - Mandatory Part - MP 5.2 – Higher Risk Personal Appearance Services. For a copy of the code please visit the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

A building certifier can provide you with this certification. Council don’t offer this service, but you can find a building certifier in the yellow pages or by doing an internet search.

Infection control training

Each person who performs tattooing, body piercing and other skin penetration must hold a 'HLTINF005 - Maintain infection prevention for skin penetration treatments' qualification. This course is available from a number of registered training organisations, for more information visit the Training website. You need to provide copies of you and your employee’s statement of attainment to Council, before starting your business.


If you are operating in two separate locations in Logan City, you only need one licence.

If you have a mobile business (e.g. caravan) you only need a licence from the Council for where you store your vehicle. You can use your licence all over Queensland, as long as you notify the Council at least seven days before you want to operate in their area and provide:

  • your higher risk personal appearance service licence
  • your employees' infection control qualifications
  • dates you intend to operate
  • locations you intend to operate.

How to apply - Step 2 – Submit the application

To apply please download and complete the Higher risk personal appearance services application form (PDF 275 KB) and return it to us with payment.

Delays in the assessment and approval process will occur if information missing from the application. 

You can submit your application in person, at our customer service centres, by post or email, please see connect with us for our contact information.

For more information, please call us on 07 3412 3412.

Are other Council approvals needed?

Planning approval

Before submitting your application, you should make sure that the site has the correct land use for the proposed business and if any development approval is needed. For more information, please call us on 07 3412 5269.

Building approval

All new premises need a building approval (including a Certificate of Classification) from a private certifier before commencing operations.

Plumbing approval

All new premises need a plumbing approval from Council. For more information see Plumbing and drainage or call us on 07 3412 4840.

Trade waste

If your waste water will be going into Council’s sewer system you may need a trade waste permit. For more information see Trade waste or call us on 07 3412 3412.

Advertising signs

If you want to erect an advertising sign, please see Local law licensing for business or call us on 07 3412 3412 for more information.

Are State government approvals needed?

Tattoo operator licence

If you want to give body art tattoos (not cosmetic tattoos) you also need a tattoo operator licence from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). You will need both the OFT licence and Council’s higher risk personal appearance service licence to operate. For more information on a tattoo operator licence please visit the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) website.

Laser tattoo removal

If you are removing tattoos with a laser, you will need a Laser Licence from Queensland Health. For more information on laser licensing visit the Queensland Health laser licensing website.

Licence transfers

If you are buying a tatoo parlour, body piercing or cosmetic tattooing business with an existing licence you will need to apply for a transfer of that licence using the Higher risk personal appearance services application form (PDF 275 KB).

You might want to consider getting a presale inspection before you buy a licensed tattoo parlour, body piercing or cosmetic tattooing business. You can apply for a presale inspection using the PS2 - Property Information (Non Residential) form (PDF 423 KB) and ticking option 32.