Developer delivered live connections

Frequently Asked Questions

As a property owner/developer, can I connect to the live water/sewer network?

Yes, private contractors can apply to connect to the existing network.

If we approve your application, we will schedule someone to audit and inspect your work for construction compliance.

What types of connections are permitted?

A private contractor can apply to make the following live connections for water and sewerage:

  • reticulation connections
  • commercial water services, including the water meter assembly and any backflow protection equipment
  • fire services, including the water meter assembly
  • non-residential property connections
  • sewerage property connections
  • changes to the existing network (e.g. water and sewerage mains replacement).

What type of works are not permitted?

We will not give permission for:

  • infrastructure works we assess as high risk
  • existing connections which may be sensitive
  • work in locations with large service interruptions.

How are live connections assessed?

We assess live connections based on the impact they have on existing customers.

How long is the approval process for connection to water and sewerage assets?

Assessment for applications may take 15–20 business days.

If an application is incomplete, the approval process may be delayed.

Who is responsible for the work at the site?

The applicant (or their representative) is responsible for the site and for making sure they follow:

  • work health and safety requirements
  • processes to maintain the health of the network
  • SEQ water supply and wastewater design and construction code.

You may use a principal contractor or project manager to be responsible for the works.

Logan City Council representatives are focused on protecting infrastructure and providing customer service. Council representatives are not in control of the site, any works or personnel. We may stop works if we identify a safety or connection issue.

What information do I need to provide to Logan City Council to start the connection process?

The Application for private works form describes the documents you need to start the connection process.

Where can I access the private works application forms?

You can download the application forms from our Private Works page or apply online now

Where do I send the Application for private works form?

You can send your completed form to us by:

What information do you need to assess the live connection?

You will need to supply us with the following information before we can assess the live connection:

  • a council-stamped, approved engineering plan of proposed works. The plan should include a construction procedure sequencing, clearly showing the connection in detail (e.g. design detail, longitudinal section for alteration to existing infrastructure etc.)
  • quality and safety assurance – a copy of the contractor's Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) and risk assessment for each activity
  • proof of public liability insurance
  • emergency contact details for you and your contractor
  • proof of the contractor’s accreditation, credentials and competencies
  • trenching and excavation guidelines.

We may also need:

  • traffic control management plan
  • written permission to access private property or public land (e.g. parks)
  • environmental management plan, including tree preservation
  • removal of spoil and fire ant management
  • asbestos removal licence and training documentation
  • confined space training records, including first aid training for all staff attending the site.

How detailed does my Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) need to be?

Your SWMS should be detailed enough to cover all aspects of how you intend to complete your work in a safe way.

What extra fees may I be liable for, other than the audit fees?

Fees we may include are for:

  • water tankers
  • sewage pumping
  • shutting down and restoring the network
  • shutdown notifications to customers.

We can give you a quote for these costs when we assess your connection requirements (e.g. complex vs simplex connection).

More costs may apply if the connection is not completed by the contractor for any reason. If the work is not completed, we will take over control of the live connection work site and complete the connection at your cost.

We cannot guarantee that we will finish the connection during the reinstatement of the network. We will send a tax invoice based on the actual costs incurred to reinstate the network.

At what stage of the construction process can the physical connection to the Logan City Council asset occur?

The connections cannot happen until:

  • we have received a signed acknowledgement notice
  • you have made payment
  • where applicable, our water operations team has approved maintenance for the new infrastructure
  • we have accepted all relevant test results.

Can a developer get permission to tap a live main for new property services?

Yes. However, our representative has the right to revoke this authority if they believe there is risk to the infrastructure, safety or customers.

During auditing, can the Logan City Council representative remove approval if they think there is significant reason to do so?

Yes. Our representative has the right to revoke this authority if they believe there is risk to the infrastructure, safety or customers.

Who is liable for the charges if there is any property damage during construction?

The applicant is responsible for any damage caused by their contractors.

How are works finalised?

All works require an as-constructed plan to be submitted to us. If you have provided this in the application process, you do not need to provide it again. If you have not given us an as-constructed drawing, you must submit it within three weeks from the date of the connection.

Defects liability period

The applicant is responsible for any defect identified for a nominated period, as defined within the decision notice and conditions. If necessary, we will correct any defects caused by the live connection. We will pass the costs to the applicant through a tax invoice sundry debtor.