Constructing a dam

Dams are generally built to control and store water. Council defines the construction of a dam as operational work, filling or excavation. In most cases, constructing a dam requires approval. This ensures that the possible impacts on safety, people, properties and the environment are managed.

Can I divert water?

Constructing a dam may involve diversion of water. For example, you may shape land or add swales to direct surface water into a dam. You may divert water within the property where the dam is being constructed as long as it does not cause:

  • ponding on any premises, can be in the dam but not elsewhere and not on adjoining properties
  • a hazard or an adverse effect on personal health, safety and premises
  • diversion or concentration of flow from or onto adjoining properties or infrastructure.

Do I need approval

The Logan Planning Scheme 2015 provides limited opportunity to construct a dam without a development permit. In most situations you need approval.

You will need approval to construct a dam if:

  • it is located within any of the following overlays from the Logan Planning Scheme 2015
    • Flood Hazard Overlay
    • Landslide Hazard and Steep Slope Area Overlay
    • Waterway Corridors and Wetlands Overlay
  • it meets any of the following design criteria
    • is for public infrastructure use
    • is located within 10 metres of a property boundary
    • is located within 40 metres of a building, fixed structure with a roof, wholly or partly enclosed by walls
    • involves a retaining wall that is
      • located within a local government easement or a road or greater than 1.5 metre in height or 3 metres with benching
      • not located wholly within one lot.

Depending on your property's zone, criteria may also apply to:

  • filling or excavation volumes
  • area and retaining wall specifications.

For more information see the Logan Planning Scheme 2015, Part 5 section 5.8 – Tables of Assessment.

How do I get approval?

To get approval, lodge a development application for Operational Works with Council. You can do this online, in person, by post or email.

Include the following information with your application:

  • filling and excavation plan signed by an Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ)
  • cross section plans for filling and excavation that show adjoining property boundaries where filling and excavation are next to existing developments
  • quality and composition of fill material used if filling a dam
  • the effect on the drainage of adjoining properties from any cut and fill operation, the design should ensure that there is no pondage of water or nuisance stormwater runoff
  • how you will identify and preserve trees and vegetation along rivers, creeks and waterways in riparian or other buffer zones
  • a demonstration of compliance with the relevant overlay codes relating to filling.

Find out more about development applications.

How much will it cost?

Fees for development applications are dependent on:

  • the type and scale of development
  • the category of assessment
  • other factors.

You can find a list of fees in:

Payment is not required up front if you lodge a development application online. Instead, Council will issue a Notice of Account stating the required fees for payment.

Further information

For more information please contact our team. You can also visit us in person at the Logan Central Administration Centre.