Apply for a property search

Apply online

Fill in and submit the online property search application form to apply. Response times may be longer during the Christmas/New Year period (days between 26 December and 1 January are not included as business days).

To apply, select the Property Searches/Certificates option from the menu along the top and choose the New certificate option. 

If you are a new user you can register online. Registration may take up to 3 business days to finalise. 

If you are a registered user you can login to online services using your username and password to see previous searches and access saved information.

Application form

You can download and fill in a property search application for residential or commercial properties below:

The timeframe for each search type is outlined on the forms. Response times may be longer during the Christmas/New Year period (days between 26 December and 1 January are not included as business days).

We appreciate that doing searches before you buy a property can be time consuming. We aim to help you to make this process as easy as possible.

We encourage you to allow at least 3 extra business days on top of our processing times when you negotiate your contract timeframe. This will allow you to discuss any questions with us.

We are unable to speed up these requests due to the high number of applications being processed. We do not offer fast-track service.

Access requirements

If you order a full planning and development certificate or a building and plumbing inspection report, you need to organise access to the property. This is so a staff member can do the inspection.

Please arrange for access to the land within five business days of starting the search so there is no delay in supplying the results.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Where can I get specific development or town planning advice?

If you have a question about the development potential of land, what a property can be used for or any other planning related enquiry, please see Development in Logan.

What should I do if the search results show that a building is not approved?

Please see Building for more information.

What should I do if you don’t have record of an approval or plans?

You should contact a private building certifier. Please see Private building certifiers.

Does a building need a certificate of classification?

From 1 October 2020 the certificate of classification (Form 11) has been amended and renamed the certificate of occupancy. It can also be used as the Interim Certificate of Occupancy to fulfill the requirements under section 104 of the Building Act 1975. Any certificate of classification issued before 1 October 2020 that is still in force, is taken to be a certificate of occupancy from 1 October 2020.

Commercial buildings or multiple attached dwellings built after 1 April 1976 need a certificate of classification. This needs to be issued before the building can be occupied.

Contact a private building certifier to discuss the legal requirements.

For more information, please download our Certificate of classification factsheet (101 KB).

Should I be concerned about a building not having an approval?

We would encourage you to get legal advice. Please be aware of the following:

  • getting a retrospective approval or performing rectification can be expensive
  • your home and contents insurance policy or payout could be affected
  • the value or resale of the property may be affected.

What is the difference between a building and plumbing approvals report from Council and a building and pest report?

A building and pest inspector will usually visually examine the structure of the building. They will identify defects, pest damage and other damage and safety issues.

Our building and plumbing approvals report will give you information about building, plumbing and drainage approvals.

What is the difference between doing a formal search and using PD hub?

PD Hub is an informal search. As its disclaimer states, it cannot be relied upon during a property transaction.

The only way to receive a formal search is to apply for a property search. We have access to historical, archived and electronic records.

What does a formal search process involve?

When we receive a search request, we do any or all of the following to make sure we give you accurate and high quality information:

  • review electronic databases and mapping systems
  • review archived and historical documentation
  • research relevant legislation and planning schemes
  • make enquiries with town planning or building staff
  • perform quality assurance to ensure the integrity of the data we give to you.

What searches can I do myself?

If you are looking for copies of approved building plans for a property in Logan lodged with us from July 2018, these may be freely available through the Development Enquiry Tool. Other documents are not published, so you may still need to lodge a request for a formal property search.

Which searches can you send by email?

We can email most search results. We can’t email results that include large documents like building plans and standard or full planning and development certificates.

Are there outstanding infrastructure charges on the property?

If there is development or building work on a property which increases the demand on Council's infrastructure networks (such as roads, water, sewer, drainage), a financial contribution towards that infrastructure may be required. Council will issue an Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN) which attaches to the property. If not paid, this charge is inherited by a future owner.

For applications lodged after 1 January 2020, you can check if any ICNs have been attached to a property using our free Development Enquiry Tool. You can search for the property and see all applications lodged with Council. For each application you can view the documents to see if an ICN has been issued. If you find an ICN, you can request a Limited Planning and Development Certificate to find out if there are any outstanding charges.

For applications lodged prior to 1 January 2020, please request a Limited Planning and Development Certificate to find out if there are any outstanding infrastructure charges.

To obtain a Planning and Development Certificate from Council, please use the application form Property information request form for PS1 residential (PDF 531 KB), or Property information request form for PS2 commercial (PDF 925 KB).

Can the search service be sped up to meet my contractual timeframe?

Due to the high number of searches we process, we are unable to speed up any request outside of the timeframes. We do not offer fast track service.

We encourage you to allow at least 3 extra business days on top of our processing times when you negotiate your contract timeframe. This will allow you to discuss any questions with us.

If I cancel the search, can I get a refund?

The fees for property record searches are non-refundable.

Why is there a difference in fee between a residential and non-residential search?

Non-residential searches are often more complex to prepare. The search may involve multiple approvals or a large volumes of records to be searched. Residential properties usually don’t have large number of approval documents or a long approval history.

If the search reveals that you do not have a record of a document or plan, can I get a refund?

No. The fees charged represent the search undertaken and are non-refundable.

Why don’t you have a record of the planning, building or plumbing document that I need?

  • Due to local government amalgamations, some documents may not have been made available to us.
  • Different legislative record keeping and disposal timeframes over the past 50 years will influence the documents available to us.
  • Since private building certification was introduced, some approval documentation may not have been sent to us.

How can I get the 2021 Flood Model for the Logan and Albert Rivers?

Please see our fact sheet for information about requesting the 2021 Flood Model for the Logan and Albert Rivers.

When does the search timeframe start?

The search timeframe starts when:

  • the application has been received
  • the correct fee has been paid
  • authorising documents have been supplied.