Roadside vending

Anyone selling or supplying goods from a public place, road, roadside or reserve needs a permit from Logan City Council. This includes selling or supplying from a stall, booth, stand, table, food van or food truck.

We want to make sure roadside selling is only done from a location that is safe for patrons, pedestrians and all road users.

Mobile food vendors who want to operate on the roadside need a roadside vending permit as well as a food vehicle licence. For more information or to apply for a Food license, please see Food licensing.

Roadside vending can include:

  • mobile roadside vending (travelling from place to place and stopping when signalled by a customer), or
  • stationary roadside vending (parking / setting-up in the one place for a period of time).

Some examples of food businesses that will require a roadside vending permit include:

  • roadside seafood, fruit or vegetable seller
  • pie or smoko van
  • mobile ice cream van
  • food trucks.

You will also need a license if you want to sell items other than food on the road. For more information, see Licensing.

Do I need a permit?


Do I need a roadside food vending permit?

Preparing and selling food from a regular location such as the side of a road.


Preparing and selling food to a customer who has seen a food truck and motioned for it to stop on the side of the road. 


A food van that supplies free food to the less fortunate from a regular location (e.g. a Council car park or the side of a road).


Preparing and selling food on private property e.g. making food on private property and taking it to another place to sell

No, but you may need a development permit. Please see PD hub for more information.

Preparing and selling food on State Government land e.g selling food at school events or parking a coffee van in the school carpark at pick up time. 

You don’t need this permit to operate on State Government land. However, you must have the permission of the owner or responsible person for the land.

Preparing and selling food from a Council park.

Yes. You will also need to complete a risk assessment. For more information, please see the Roadside Vending Application form (PDF 66 KB).

You should always consider the zoning of the land when planning activities. To check if you need a development approval, please see Planning Scheme.

Charities and not for profit organisations

Charities and not for profit originations that sell or supply goods from a public place, road, roadside or reserve also require a permit from Logan City Council.

There will also be a 50% reduction in the application and permit fees if you can supply the Australian Taxation Office Charity endorsement or proof that you are from an incorporated association (under the Associations Incorporated Act 1981) with your application.

How to apply

Planning for the application

There are many public health and safety issues to consider when selecting a site for the roadside vending of food. Make sure you provide all of the information listed on the application form with your application.

When choosing a location, the site must be safe for the roadside vendor and for motorists stopping. The operation of the roadside vending must not create a traffic problem, increase an existing traffic problem or detrimentally affect the efficiency of the existing road network. The ideal site will:

  • have road speeds of 60km or less.
  • not be near:
    • intersections
    • traffic lights, or
    • traffic accident hot spots
  • not be on a busy road
  • have sufficient road side shoulders and parking area, condition and width of road verges, and safe pull-off areas for decelerating vehicles.
  • have clear long distant lines of sight, road type and condition, average speed environment and the driveable condition of the carriage way.

If your desired location is in a Council park, you will need to submit a risk assessment with your application. You can download our risk assessment Risk Assessment Guide (PDF 163 KB) and Risk Assessment Template (PDF 129 KB) for more information.

You may also need approvals from other agencies to operate on a State-controlled road e.g. the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Submitting your application

Download and complete the Roadside food vending application (PDF 66 KB) and return it to us with payment. 

Delays in the assessment and approval process will occur if you don’t include all of the required information.

If you add sites to your application after you lodge it additional fees may be charged.

You can submit your application in person at our customer service centres, by post or email.

Please see connect with us for our contact information.

Application assessment

The application will be assed under our relevant local laws, planning schemes and policies.

Delays in the assessment and approval process will occur if there is information missing from the application.

It is your responsibility to obtain a permit prior to operating. 

Conducting roadside vending without a permit may result in an on the spot fine of $667.00 and could result in prosecution.

State Government approvals

If you would like to operate on a State-controlled road, you will need written approval from the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Please visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website for more information.

What is a State-controlled road?

For a list of State-controlled roads in Logan, please see State-controlled roads.