Your pets and the Law
Animals make wonderful companions! If you keep an animal on your property, you need to comply with our animal keeping local laws.
The laws help us to make sure that animals are well looked after and ensure the safety and wellbeing of the community.
If you own an animal it is important that you understand our local laws. The list below gives a brief summary of what you need to know.
- Register your cats and dogs once they are 12 weeks old.
- Microchip your cats and dogs.
- Keep only the allowable number of animals on your property.
- Consider de-sexing your dogs. There are many health benefits to desexing your dog.
- De-sex your cats. All cats must be de-sexed unless you are a registered breeder.
- Keep your animals in a fenced enclosure that stops them escaping and wandering. The enclosure must allow for public access to the entry of the house.
- When walking your dog, always keep it on a lead that is shorter than two metres unless you are in an off-leash area.
- Keep your animals in a way that they don't cause a nuisance to neighbours.
- Give your animals food, water, shelter, exercise and general care.
- Don’t forget to take a dog poo bag with you when you’re walking your dog. You are responsible for cleaning up after them.
New animal keeping laws for cats and dogs in Logan
Our cat and dog keeping Local Laws have changed.
The new laws which took effect 21 February 2020 were shaped after eight months of community engagement.
Feedback from residents has helped make sure that the cat and dog keeping local laws better suit our changing city. The new laws will allow resident’s greater ability to own a pet.
For a copy of our Animal Keeping Local Laws, please download:
- Local Law No. 4 (Animal Management) 2002 (PDF 530 KB) or Subordinate Local Law No. 4.1 (Animal Management) 2002 (PDF 474 KB)
- Local Law No. 9 (Licensing) 1999 (PDF 309 KB) or Subordinate Local Law No. 9.15 (Kennels and Cattery) 1999
For more information about our new laws, please call us on 07 3412 3412 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many animals can I have on my property?
There are limits on the number of animals you can keep on a property in Logan. Before getting a pet, you will need to check how many you can keep.
The number of animals you can keep depends on your property size. To find out the size of your property, please see My property.
Choose the animal below to find out how many you can have at your property.
If you want to keep more than the allowed number of animals for your property, you will need to apply for approval.
Please remember that if you rent your home you may need your landlord’s permission before you can have an animal. The landlord’s permission is separate from our laws about the number of animals you can have.