Residential projects

The information in this section may help if you are planning a small-scale residential project like:

  • building or extending a home
  • adding a secondary dwelling (e.g. granny flat), auxiliary unit or dual occupancy
  • adding an outbuilding (e.g. shed, carport)
  • starting a home-based business
  • adding an advertising device
  • constructing a driveway crossover
  • subdividing.

To find out the requirements for any of these projects and to find out if you need a development application, you can:

For more information about a dwelling house, secondary dwelling, auxiliary unit or dual occupancy, please download our Domestic housing fact sheet (PDF 1281 KB).

Dwelling house and secondary dwellings

A dwelling house is where land is used for residential purposes for a single household (one house). It can include domestic outbuildings, extensions and secondary dwellings.

A secondary dwelling (e.g. granny flat) is a dwelling that:

  • is self-contained and occupied by a family member of the primary dwelling house (i.e. older parent, child, relative)
  • is beside, behind, below or above the primary dwelling house
  • can be attached to or detached from the primary dwelling house
  • is on the same lot
  • has the same owner
  • cannot be subdivided
  • cannot have a separate title
  • has restrictions including:
    • a size limit of 70m² if located in a residential zone on a lot less than 1,000m², or
    • a size limit of 100m² otherwise.

Auxiliary unit and dual occupancy

An auxiliary unit is a dwelling that:

  • may be occupied by different households (e.g. the auxiliary unit could be rented out to someone else, other than a family member of the primary dwelling)
  • is located on a lot with a minimum size of 450m²
  • has a maximum of two bedrooms, one kitchen and one living space
  • has a size limit of:
    • 70m² if located in a residential zone and on a lot less than 1,000m²
    • 70m² if located in the emerging community zone and on a lot less than 1,000m², or
    • 100m² otherwise.

A dual occupancy is a premises that has two dwellings on one lot, built for two separate households (e.g. a duplex). 

Dual occupancy dwellings may have different owners and separate titles. A dual occupancy is not a multiple dwelling (multiple dwellings have more than two dwellings, like a set of units). 

To help you find out if infrastructure charges apply for an auxiliary unit development, please download our Infrastructure Charges for Auxiliary units fact sheet (PDF 156 KB).

Domestic outbuildings (sheds, carports)

If a residential property already has a dwelling house, other projects are known as building works (like building a shed or carport, building an extension or adding a swimming pool).

In most cases, building works do not need approval from us if they meet the criteria (assessment benchmarks) that apply from the Logan Planning Scheme.

You will need to get a building approval from a private building certifier for all buildings over 10m2.

A private building certifier can help you to find out if you need a building approval. In most cases they will help you lodge the application. For more information, please see Private building certifiers.

For more information about domestic outbuildings, please see Domestic outbuildings or download our Dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) and dwelling house assessment check sheet (PDF 876 KB).

Home-based businesses

Home-based businesses are generally operated on a small scale by the residents of the home and do not have more than two workers who do not live there.

Some examples of home-based businesses include:

  • bed and breakfast
  • farm stay
  • home office
  • home based childcare
  • home-based food and drink business.

A home-based business does not include an office, shop, warehouse, transport depot or a hobby.

For more information about home-based businesses, please see Home-based business.

Subdividing (reconfiguring a lot)

Subdividing includes:

  • subdividing a lot to make two or more lots
  • combining (amalgamating) two or more lots
  • rearranging boundaries
  • creating an easement to give access from a road.

You can find out if a property can be subdivided from information in the Logan PD Hub. To use the Hub, please:

  • find your property either by typing the address or using the map search
  • select the planning enquiry tool and click on What can I do here?
  • select (double-click on) the activity (e.g. Reconfiguring a lot).

The hub will generate a planning enquiry report that will tell you:

  • relevant details about the property (including size, zone and local plan)
  • whether or not a development application is required, and the criteria for any application
  • the applicable development codes (rules) from the Logan Planning Scheme 2015
  • any overlays that affect the property (e.g. flooding, bushfire hazard, vegetation, steep slopes) and may have an impact on how a development is done
  • other rules (controls) like minimum and average lot sizes, access widths and minimum frontages.

Subdividing a lot is either code assessable or impact assessable and will require a development application. For more information about the criteria for code and impact assessment and minimum lot sizes in different zones, please see Reconfiguring a lot.

If the proposed subdivision increases the demand on trunk infrastructure (e.g. water supply, major roads, sewer network), charges will apply. Infrastructure charges are generally payable before approval of the plan of subdivision. To help you identify these charges, which will depend on the location and scale of the development, you can use the infrastructure charges estimator in the Logan PD Hub.

To help you find out applicable fees and charges for a subdivision, please refer to our Checklist of subdivision project costs. This is a spreadsheet (in Microsoft Excel format) that you can download and enter information to calculate estimated total costs.