Domestic outbuildings (garages and sheds)

A domestic outbuilding is the term given to a non-habitable structure like a private garage, carport or shed.

These are known as class 10a buildings under the National Construction Code (Building Code of Australia).

Do I need a building approval?

Yes, even if Council approval is needed, almost all domestic outbuildings need a building approval.

A private building certifier can tell you if you need to get a building approval and help with the approval process.

For more information about private building certifiers, please see Private building certifiers.

Do I need a development approval?

Most domestic outbuildings are accepted development under the planning scheme and will not need a development approval.

If the building does not comply with all of the applicable acceptable outcomes of the Dual Occupancy and Dwelling House Code of the Logan Planning Scheme 2015, you will need to lodge a development application.

The Dual Occupancy and Dwelling House Code outlines all of the requirements from the planning scheme that apply to Dual Occupancy (Auxiliary Units), Dwelling Houses and domestic outbuildings.

To make sure that all relevant matters are covered and your application is ready to be lodged with us, please download our checksheet (PDF 646 KB).

When you are deciding where to put the building on your property it is important to know the location of infrastructure like water and sewer mains. To build near to this infrastructure, the building may need to be setback or the foundations may need to be built to a higher construction standard.

The provisions for building over or near infrastructure are set out in the Queensland Development Code (QDC) Part 1.4. – Building over or near relevant infrastructure.

For more information about building near infrastructure, please see Water and sewerage development.

What are the size restrictions for domestic outbuildings?

In most cases the QDC will set the allowable size of a domestic outbuilding.

A maximum floor area of 150m2 is permitted for buildings located in the following zones:

  • Acreage precinct or Small acreage precinct of the Low density residential zone
  • Emerging community zone
  • Environmental management and conservation zone
  • Rural zone, or
  • Rural residential zone.

If the floor area exceeds 150m2 but is not more than 300m2, the table below sets out the minimum side and rear boundary setbacks to be achieved for the development to proceed without approval from us.


Minimum side and rear boundary clearance

Emerging community zone

Low density residential zone (Acreage and Small acreage precinct)

Rural residential zone

6 metres

Environmental management and conservation zone

Rural zone

20 metres


If the proposed floor area of your domestic outbuilding is not greater than 300m2 and complies with all other applicable acceptable outcomes from the Dual Occupancy and Dwelling House Code, a development approval is not required from us.

If your domestic outbuilding exceeds 300m2 of floor area or is greater than 150m2 but does not provide the minimum side and rear boundary setbacks set out above, a development application is required to be lodged with us.

How do I apply for a development permit?

If the domestic outbuilding is not accepted development, a development permit is required before the activity can be carried out. You will need to lodge a building works assessable against the Logan Planning Scheme (BWAP) application.

For more information about how to lodge your application, please see Application forms and lodgement.

How much will it cost?

The fee for lodging a development application will vary depending on the type and size of the development, the category of assessment, and other factors. These fees are set by resolution of Council. 

For more information about fees and payment methods, please see Fees, charges and payments.

For more information about domestic outbuildings, please contact our team