Logan Planning Scheme 2015
The Logan Planning Scheme helps Council to manage population growth, plan for a sustainable future for Logan, and guide the way land is used and developed across the city. The current version, Logan Planning Scheme 2015 v5.1, commenced on 8 September 2017 and incorporates the Minor and Administrative Amendment No.3, the Tamarind Street Access Restriction Strip Amendment and the Logan Reserve General Planning Layout Amendment which were adopted by Logan City Council on 28 August 2017.
To find out which parts of the planning scheme apply to a property, please use either:
- the Property Report or Planning Enquiry tools in the Logan PD Hub
- the map viewer and property search in the Logan ePlan
- the property enquiry search in PD Online.
Land use and development in the Yarrabilba and Greater Flagstone Priority Development Areas (PDAs) is managed by Economic Development Queensland.
Accessing the Logan Planning Scheme
- Use the Logan ePlan to access the Logan Planning Scheme to view the content (text, tables, figures, maps etc.) of the planning scheme and to view filtered scheme content relevant to a selected property. Please refer to our Logan ePlan User Guide (PDF 1836 KB), which provides instructions, screen shots and other helpful information about using this tool.
- Access the Logan Planning Scheme current documents and maps.
- Use the Logan PD Hub to view maps of zones, local plans, overlays and other elements of the scheme, and to access a report for a property of interest.
- Maps from the Logan PD Hub are also available in raw form (download KML, Shapefile format) on Council's Open Data portal, or via data.gov.au.
- View the standard drawings.
- To purchase a physical copy of the documents and/or maps of the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 or the superseded planning schemes for Logan, please complete the request form (PDF 370 KB) and email email@example.com or contact Council on (07) 3412 3412.
- To view the planning scheme in an alternative format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 3412 3412.
- If you have a hearing or speech impairment, please contact us through the National Relay Service. For more information, visit the National Relay Service website.
Improving the Logan Planning Scheme
The Logan Planning Scheme 2015 originally commenced on 18 May 2015 and replaced the three previous planning schemes which were in effect across the city, reducing red tape and simplifying the rules for land use and development.
Council is committed to a framework of regular review and amendment to ensure the Logan Planning Scheme remains relevant and effective, and values the input of the community, industry and other interested parties. To learn more or to get involved please:
- use our online submissions portal to provide feedback about the current scheme. Council reviews feedback periodically, and uses it to inform future amendments
- see Planning Scheme Amendments for amendments currently in progress and those previously adopted. Information about the amendment process and any temporary local planning instruments is also available
- see Planning Scheme Amendments for proposed amendments which are currently open for public consultation. Public submissions supporting or objecting to the proposed changes can be lodged during the consultation period.
The Logan ePlan is an online tool that allows you to:
- view the content (text, tables, figures, maps) of the Logan Planning Scheme (from Version 5.1 onwards) in an interactive way, with embedded links between sections, pop-up definitions, external links (e.g. to relevant legislation) and search functions (e.g. for particular words, sections)
- view key maps, with an option to search for your property and then view filtered content from the Logan Planning Scheme (i.e. only those parts which are relevant for that property, based on the zoning and applicable overlays)
- provide feedback on the current scheme at any time
- compare changes made in proposed amendments when they are published for community consultation/comment, and lodge formal submissions supporting or opposing one or more of those changes.
A User Guide (PDF 1836 KB) is available for the ePlan (including the online submissions portal), and Google Chrome is the recommended desktop browser. The ePlan also operates on smaller devices (e.g. mobile phones, tablets), however some of the mapping features may be constrained by the limited screen size.
Superseded planning schemes
A planning scheme (or version thereof) becomes superseded when a new planning scheme or planning scheme amendment is gazetted. In accordance with section 29 of the Planning Act 2016, a person may ask Council to assess a development proposal under a superseded planning scheme. The request must be made in writing to Council within one year of the effective date of the new planning scheme or amendment. Instruments which have been superseded for more than one year become historic. A development application may not be made under an historic planning scheme.
Documents relating to the superseded planning schemes can be viewed using the links in the table below. For copies of documents which are not available online or for additional information please contact a planner.
|Superseded scheme name||Superseded on|
|There are currently no versions of the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 which are superseded (see Historic Planning Schemes).|
Historic planning schemes
The table below lists the versions of the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 which are now historic, having been superseded for more than one year and/or by multiple subsequent versions. Also listed are the planning schemes which were replaced by the Logan Planning Scheme 2015. This information is provided for information / reference only. Development applications may not be made under historic planning schemes. For further information, and for access to the documents if required (where not available via links in the table), please contact a planner.
|Historic scheme name||Superseded on|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 5.0||8 September 2017|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 4.0||3 July 2017|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 3.0||26 May 2017|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 2.1||9 December 2016|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 2.0||6 May 2016|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 1.1||11 December 2015|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2015 - Version 1.0||18 May 2015|
|Historic Logan Planning Scheme 2006||18 May 2015|
|Historic Gold Coast Planning Scheme 2003||18 May 2015|
|Historic Beaudesert Planning Scheme 2007||18 May 2015|
Temporary Local Planning Instruments (TLPI)
A Temporary Local Planning Instrument (TLPI) is a statutory instrument created under the provisions of the Planning Act 2016,which may suspend or otherwise affect the operation of another planning instrument (e.g. the Logan Planning Scheme), but does not amend or repeal that instrument. The TLPI has effect for a period of up to two (2) years after its effective date, or for a shorter period stated in the instrument, unless repealed sooner.
Generally a TLPI is an interim response that can be made if:
- there is a significant risk of serious adverse cultural, economic, environmental or social conditions happening in the local government area
- the delay involved in making or amendment another local planning instrument (e.g. the planning scheme) would increase the risk
- a state interest would not be adversely effected by the proposed TLPI.
There are no TLPI currently in effect in the City of Logan.
For a copy of expired TLPI please contact a planner.
|Expired TLPI Title||Period of effect||Purpose|
|TLPI No. 2 (Loganlea to Jimboomba Powerline Underground Area) 2015||Commenced on 30 October 2015 and ceased to have effect on 29 October 2016||The purpose of TLPI 02/15 was to facilitate the construction of the underground section of the Loganlea to Jimboomba electricity powerline by declaring development for this purpose to be self-assessable, and identifying applicable assessment criteria.|
|TLPI No. 1 (Logan Interim Flood Response) 2015||Commenced on 27 March 2015 and was superseded by the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 on 18 May 2015||The purpose of TLPI 01/15 was to manage development in areas of Logan subject to flooding and inundation. It suspended the operation of specific provisions of the three planning schemes in effect at the time across the City of Logan (Beaudesert Shire Planning Scheme 2007, Gold Coast Planning Scheme 2003, Logan Planning Scheme 2006), and applied new provisions.|
Previous instruments for Logan Interim Flood Response
|Between 2011 and 2013||Similar to TLPI 01/15.|
Further information which may be helpful includes:
- Centres & Projects - learn more about planning for the future of key areas of the City of Logan, including Springwood, Beenleigh, Meadowbrook, Logan Central and more.
- Infrastructure Planning & Charges - learn more about longer term planning for key infrastructure to manage water supply, sewerage, stormwater, movement, parks and land for community facilities as our city grows, and the contributions developers make towards these important resources.
- Better Planning - learn more about Queensland's planning framework and the role of the State and local governments in the plan making process. The Queensland Government have also produced a useful video (12 mins) which explains planning scheme codes and commonly used terms.
For more information about the Logan Planning Scheme please contact a planner.