Works and specifications

After an approval is given for a material change of use or reconfiguring a lot, you may need to lodge an operational works application for activity like:

  • excavating or filling of land (e.g. earthworks that include changing the ground level for retaining walls or constructing a dam)
  • civil works for new subdivisions or development (e.g. connection to Council and external infrastructure)
  • placing an advertising sign on premises
  • undertaking road works on Council roads
  • clearing vegetation in line with state legislation (please see vegetation protection)
  • landscaping works (please see Landscape assessment below for compliance assessment).

Work cannot start on the site until the operational works application is approved and a pre-start meeting is held.

To find out the requirements for operational works and if you need an application, please see assessment criteria and categories of development.

RiskSmart operational works

Our RiskSmart operational works service allows operational works applications to be fast-tracked by using accredited consultants.

For more information, please see RiskSmart operational works.

Standard drawings and specifications

Standard drawings and specifications must be used to make sure the development meets the required standards for planning, design, location and construction of infrastructure. These are identified in the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 (in Schedule 6, Planning Scheme Policy 5 – Infrastructure).  

You can find all standard drawings and specifications listed in the Logan Planning Scheme (Planning Scheme Policy 5, Part 8 Standard drawings and Part 9 Standard specifications)

The table below gives you links to view and download the standard drawings.

Standard Drawing

More information

Movement infrastructure (road cross sections, verge cross sections, acoustic fence design (noise barriers), public utilities, crossovers, footpaths, kerb and channel, kerb ramps, signs, subsoil drains, bikeways, fencing, parking bays)

Please see standard drawings – movement.

Where the standard drawing is provided by the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia (IPWEA), we recommend you visit the IPWEAQ online portal to ensure you have the latest content available

Movement infrastructure (road edge guide posts, guard rails and barriers)

Please visit Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR SD1356, SD1474)

Movement infrastructure (bus stops)

Please refer to the Translink - public transport infrastructure manual

Water and sewerage infrastructure

For more information please contact our water development services team on 07 3412 4504 or email

Please visit South East Queensland Water Supply and Sewerage Design and Construction Code 


Please see standard drawings – landscaping

Where a standard drawing is not provided, please call us on 07 3412 4247 or email us at

Stormwater infrastructure (access chambers, bedding and backfilling, field inlet gully (drainage pits), sediment controls, inlets and outlets, stormwater quality, roof water)

Please see standard drawings – stormwater

Where the standard drawing is provided by the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia (IPWEA), we recommend you visit the IPWEAQ online portal to make sure you have the latest content available

Please visit Department of Transport and Main Roads standard drawings (DTMR SD1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320).

Pre-start meeting

Before work can start on a site, you need to organise a pre-start meeting. Pre-start meetings are held to talk about the schedule of works, standards and expectations.

This meeting is held with the developer and/or their consulting engineer, the contractor and our technical officers.

To arrange a pre-start meeting, please contact our team.

Please fill in the pre-start meeting kit (PDF 796 KB) and email it to before the meeting. An inspection fee must be paid before the pre-start meeting can occur – please see development applications - fees, charges and payments.

As-constructed drawings

As-constructed drawings are the final set of drawings for different types of infrastructure.

As-constructed information must be sent to us for checking and acceptance when the works are finished, in line with Logan Planning Scheme Policy 5 - Infrastructure and the relevant development approval (permit).

For information about what to include, please download as-constructed submission kit (PDF 166 KB).

To lodge as-constructed drawings, please contact our team.

Please note that we use the asset designed as constructed (ADAC) data specification for all newly constructed assets. For more information, please download ADAC information sheet (157 KB).

Landscape assessment

Landscaping plans must be lodged with an operational works application. There is no extra fee if the landscaping plans are lodged with the operational works application.

If the operational works application has already been approved, a minor change can be lodged to submit the landscaping plans. A fee will apply. To lodge a change application, please fill in a Queensland Government - change application form and return it to us with the plans and payment.

For compliance assessment on older applications (under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009), please lodge a landscape acknowledgement application. There is no fee for this application. Please fill in a landscape assessment form (90 KB) and return it to us with the plans.

When the works are finished, you can provide us with certification of completion in accordance with the approved plans and conditions, or we can complete the completion inspection (a fee applies).

For more information, please contact our team.


Bonding is a process where we are given financial security (cash, bank guarantee or cheque) to cover unfinished development construction works. This allows for the early release of survey plans so that lots can be sold when development works are finished.

Types of bonds

Bond type


Performance bonds

Performance bonds are submitted before the start of Operational Works (like constructing roads in a new estate) to make sure the work is satisfactorily completed. Performance bonds may be converted to maintenance bonds when the work is completed.

Uncompleted works bonds (UCW)

UCW bonds are submitted before completion of all works and the conditions of development approval for the early sealing of plans.

UCW bonds are normally set at 150% of the certified value of the uncompleted works.

A Bonding Agreement is entered into for UCW bonds and incurs an administration fee, as per our register of cost-recovery fees (PDF 358 KB), for the formulation of the Bonding Agreement.

Note: UCW bonds exclude essential infrastructure.

As constructed drawings bonds (ACD)

As constructed drawings bonds are used to allow the early sealing of plans before the approval of the as constructed drawings. As constructed drawings bonds are released when the development becomes on-maintenance.

Maintenance security deposit (MSD)

Maintenance bonds are released after the development is accepted as off-maintenance.

Water sensitive urban device bonds (WSUD)

WSUD bonds are a type of maintenance bond, and can be lodged before plan sealing and kept until the WSUD asset is accepted as off-maintenance. They act as protection against sediment damage during the construction phase and ensure suitable establishment of the asset.

Note: Bonds for the maintenance of WSUD devices will be required for a longer than normal period. This may be as long as three years after plan sealing.

A Bonding Agreement is entered into for WSUD bonds and incurs an administration fee, as per our register of cost-recovery fees (PDF 358KB), for the formation of the Bonding Agreement.

For more details, please download our bonding of works policy (PDF 7 KB).


To lodge a bonding application, please download bonding application form (PDF 316 KB).

The application must be submitted and approved by our Technical Officers before acceptance of the values requested.

Essential services including water and sewerage infrastructure cannot be bonded.

Water and Sewer Standard Drawings certified by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland, pressure test results and connection fees are to be paid before plan sealing in line with the Plan Sealing Guidelines.

Process for payment by Bank Guarantee

Council can accept digital Bank Guarantees and Unconditional Undertakings emailed directly from your banking institution:

  1. Complete the Bank guarantee / unconditional undertaking request form (PDF 278 KB) and return it to (please use a separate form for each Bank Guarantee or Unconditional Undertaking).
  2. Instruct your banking institution to email the Bank Guarantee or Unconditional Undertaking to
  3. Council will issue an acknowledgement letter to your banking institution.
  4. At Bond Release Stage council will issue a reduction/cancellation letter to your banking institution.

We also accept original paper copies of Bank Guarantees or Unconditional Undertakings by post or lodgement in person at the Logan Central Administration Building:

  1. Complete the Bank guarantee / unconditional undertaking request form (PDF 278 KB) and post or lodge it together with your original Bank Guarantee or Unconditional Undertaking (please use separate form for each Bank Guarantee or Unconditional Undertaking).
  2. Council will issue an acknowledgement letter to your banking institution.
  3. At Bond Release Stage council will issue a reduction/cancellation letter to your banking institution.

Reducing, releasing and calling up bonds

An applicant can request the reduction or return of bonds by submitting a written request or email outlining the reasons and providing development details including:

  • full development file reference details
  • real property description of development
  • bond reference number and bond amount, and
  • receipt number and date lodged for cash bonds or the bank guarantee details.

A fee will be charged for reduction or release of bond payments related to all bonds. The MSD bonds will be refunded after the Technical Officer accepts the works as off-maintenance.

The WSUD device is to be completed to full functionality (including planting) after ninety (90) percent of the building works within the catchment are completed OR three (3) years after plan sealing, whichever is the sooner.

A twelve (12) month maintenance period shall occur, with the WSUD asset(s) accepted off maintenance and the WSUD bond returned at the end of this period, subject to a successful off maintenance inspection being arranged with Council.

To find out about bonding application fees and charges, please see Fees, charges and payments.

For more information about Bonding, please contact our team.

Street naming

Developers are responsible for naming streets created in a new development.

When choosing a name the proposed street name must not be:

  • offensive, profane or racist
  • the same as another street in the same post code area
  • likely to be confused with another street in the same post code area (due to pronunciation or spelling)
  • the same as another street name, or likely to be confused with another street (due to pronunciation or spelling) in an adjacent locality
  • difficult to spell, or
  • composed of more than one word.

We will also consider:

  • streets and roads to be named in a way that allows for logical and unambiguous street numbering and according to road / street hierarchy
  • street naming to allow emergency services to easily locate properties.

Street naming applications should be submitted in the Operational works stage of development.

To apply for street naming, please download street naming form (PDF 58 KB) and email to  

There is currently no fee for street naming. We will respond within three weeks of receiving your application.

For more information about street naming, please contact our team.