Dogs which bark excessively can be a nuisance. Your first step should be to approach the dog's owner and let them know the problem exists (they may be unaware). If you feel uncomfortable talking to the dog owner directly, Council has a friendly barking dog form for neighbours that you can place in their mailbox to make them aware of the nuisance.
If you cannot find a mutually acceptable solution to the problem, then Council will try to help. When Council receives a complaint about a barking dog, the following steps are taken:
- Council writes to the dog owner advising a complaint about nuisance barking has been received. Council includes information to assist the dog owner to resolve nuisance barking.
- Council seeks assistance from the complainant to determine when the nuisance barking is occurring. This is provided to Council by completing Barking Dog Records.
- The Barking Dog Record should note when the nuisance barking occurs. It is at these times in the future that Council will monitor the barking as part of the investigation.
- Where a barking nuisance is confirmed, Council will work with the owner to identify the causes of nuisance barking so that the right solution can be applied to resolve the problem.
- Council may issue the dog owner with a Compliance Notice or Penalty Infringement Notice (fine) if nuisance barking persists.
- Council urges dog owners to make every effort to overcome nuisance barking to avoid significant penalties. Council's Barking Response Officer is willing to provide advice and may be contacted on 3412 5397.
- The SHUSH Program is an initiative of Council and sponsored by KONG. It aims to assist dog owners to reduce nuisance barking.
For more information:
Does your dog have a barking problem?
Logan City Council regularly host FREE barking seminars for residents at various locations around the city. For further information, refer to our Animal Seminars page.
Council's proactive, referral based SHUSH Program offers owners of dogs that have significant Council identified barking issues some assistance in reducing nuisance barking. Our dedicated team will attend your property for a free consultation and to provide advice on solutions that may assist in resolving any identified issues. These solutions will include providing 'boredom buster techniques' such as introducing a KONG feeding toy.